Digital Sound

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Chris Mattison, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Chris Mattison

Chris Mattison

I'll be the first to admit I am a major 'n00b' when it comes to things like this, so if this is too rediculous, just boo me off the stage.

Alright.

So, I've got the M2N SLI Deluxe made my Asus, and the little guy has a few outputs for sound...the age old analog audio jacks, and two digital (coax and optical). As for my sound, I'm using the Logitech Z-5500 series speakers...which, yes, does support analog and digital...with it comes a decoder which does work with Dolby Digital and DTS.

The first thing I notice with Vista is that is looks like everything got revamped with audio...nice; I love it...but... Under the analog mode, I am able to configure my speakers and all that jazz, most importantly, I am able to tell Windows that I have a 5.1 speaker setup. Under the digital options, I'm given every option under the sun, except the oneto inform the damn thing that I have a 5.1 setup...

I can test the setup, and lo and behold, all six speakers are functional. Awesome...except that all my other programs are convinced that there are only two speakers.

Is there some option I am missing that will inform my OS what setup I have...?

Something I'd love even more...I notice that when I have my 360 plugged into my receiver, or any other optical output device, it constantly reads that it is getting a digital feed... Is there some way to have my OS output Dolby or whatever it is all the time? Or am I stuck with PCM forever?

Thanks!

Chris Mattison, Feb 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question