device driver not loading.

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by allove, Mar 4, 2008.

1. allove

allove

Hi,

I recently added a Seagate 750Gb hard drive to my Lenovo 3000 K100 PC. There seems to be a problem having it find a volume driver. I tried uninstalling and going through the process again with no luck. The search for the driver ends "device drive found but encountered a problem loading it" or something to that effect. A Vista update (Update for Windows Vista (KB940199)) says that it is not for my system. I found a hotfix (KB Article Number(s): 937187) that I tried but the problem remains.

I downloaded new chipset drivers and still no help. The hard drive drivers are fine.

One Vista article mentioned that the problem is a damaged or missing INFCACHE.1 file. Furthermore, if deleted Vista will not recover it.

Where do I go from here? I would appreciate any help. I'm beginning to hate Vista.

Thanks,

Al

allove, Mar 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. allove

WAW8

I'm going to move this to the Drivers forum. Look for responses there.

But, when you delete the cache file, Vista is supposed to recreate it.

Also, on mobos that include several SATA ports, there are typically SATA-IDE ports and SATA-RAID ports. I notice that your laptop has SATA hard drive and SATA DVD drive. Have you confirmed that your second drive is plugged into a SATA-IDE port, not at SATA-RAID port?

WAW8, Mar 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. allove

allove

Hi,

I made sure that the drive was connected into the SATA-IDE port. After spending a few hours trying to turn off the security protection for the infcache.1 file, I deleted it and sure enough it got regenerated. However, that didn't help. On one of the Microsoft support pages I read that the infcache.1 file would not regenerate, but it did.

I'm going to call the Seagate folks again. This smells like a bad drive. Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry. I should have put this in the drivers forum.

Al

allove, Mar 5, 2008
  4. allove

WAW8

Before you send it back, Google on Seagate and download SeaTools. That's Seagate's disk utility. It will run all kinds of scans on the drive.

Yeah, I just remembered, you can't load a driver for it!

Ok, then see if there's a computer store near you and buy one of the external multi-disk-type adapters. They're around $20 or so, and are able to accept PATA and SATA drives plugged into them. This way, you'll be using a USB driver to see the drive, and you'll be able to run SeaTools against it.

WAW8, Mar 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question