Destination Folder Access Denied

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by bj33790, Mar 26, 2007.

1. bj33790

Pgordon

What about this one then....

I ripped a DVD on my Vista Ultimate machine, to a local drive, - no problem.

I cut & pasted the FOLDER from this machine to an XP MCE2005 machine over the network. - The folder & All filestherein copy TO the XP machine no problem, however, ONE of the files (& therefore the folder) did NOT delete from the Vista machine (there were 12 files in total, 11 were deleted by the "cut" operation, one was not)

I try to delete that 1 file with explorer - "Destination Folder Access Denied..."

I have long since turned off that poxy UAC crap, I *AM* an administrator on my Vista machine, I've double-checked the NTFS permissions at the root of the volume (I definately have full control from the root, and down to all subfolders)...

How on earth do the "permissions" contrive to make me able to delete 11 out of the 12 files which were all created at the same time by the same application!?!?! - this is CRAZY!!

Lastly, note that I can't even delete the file by NOT sending it to the recycle bin -that being the "destination folder" in this case... - How can I not have permissions to send stuff to the recycle bin!?!?! - I CAN delete other files/folders perfectly freely, - I can even create & delete other files in the same folder as the file giving me this error, I can empty the recycle bin with no problems... this just plain does not make sense...

Forget about differences between XP & Vista permissions, I'm trying to do nothing more than delete a LOCAL file in a folder which my account is the "owner" of, and in which I have "Full control" (I checked the Effective Rights at this specific folder level)...

Paul G.

Pgordon, Dec 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bj33790

Jason

As said in a previous post, one quick easy solution to this problem is to take ownership of the file you are trying to transfer. Below is a simple app to do this for you:

Taking ownership ofsystem files or folders in Windows Vista is not a simple task. Whether you use the GUI or the command line, it takes far too many steps.

Thankfully somebody created a registry hack that will give you a menu item for "Take Ownership" that will handle all the steps for you. (If you are the person that originally made this script, let me know and I'll give you credit)

Here's what the new right-click menu will look like after installing this registry hack.

[​IMG]

Install

Download and unzip the files contained in the zipfile. Double-click the InstallTakeOwnership.reg file and click through the prompts. No reboot necessary.

[​IMG]

Uninstall

Double-click the RemoveTakeOwnership.reg file and click through the prompts. No reboot necessary.

Jason, Jan 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. bj33790

Hummie

I sure wish someone would help me. I'm so frustrated.

Seems I'm having the same problems as others here. I just got Vista for the first time on the laptop and the desktop is XP.

While on the laptop, I can get files from the desktop and copy them to the laptop.

But when I try to take a file on the laptop and put it on the desktop, I get this error message discussed here.

Tried <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%">

<DIV id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_smAuthorName','ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'4188\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'4188\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'4188\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_smAuthorName','ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'4188\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'4188\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'4188\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">gaj90027's suggestion...that didn't work.</DIV>

<DIV onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('ctl03_ctlTopic

Hummie, Jan 24, 2008
  4. bj33790

Hummie

This morning, I tried installing the registry file in Post #8319and held down the shift key and right clicked and did see the "take ownership" button. But it did not solve my problem.

I cannot find a link for Jason's post which seems to be a similar file.

Are there any other answers to this problem?

Hummie, Jan 24, 2008
  5. bj33790

SimpleMinded

Been there too ... dealing with permissions can be a bugger. Heres the EASY FIX. You are probably trying to copy files from the SOURCE computers MY DOCUMENTS folder or within it. Windows is trying to protect that data. Just copy the folder or files on the SOURCE computer that you want to the C:\ of the SOURCE machine (or a folder you create on the c:\). Once that is done, you should be able to copy it to the VISTA machine without any problems (provided you have shared the c:). Hope that helps.

SimpleMinded, Feb 11, 2008
  6. bj33790

TAC

What a pain in the ***! I've tried all these options to my music from an old XP computer to my new Vista machineand finally had to move MyMusic to my desktop, share it and then movethe files/folders. In the process of trying all the different Vista sharing and security combinations I've changed the color of my Vista Music folder from the blue/green color to yellow. Does anyone know what exactly this means?

TAC, May 31, 2008
  7. bj33790

barnesra

I am not sure why this posting is [SOLVED]. It appears that several folks are continuing to have the same problem. I am no different.

I am one of several technically savvy administrators that have just joined9 Vista PC's to our network. We are all attempting to copy different files from the network to our local drives. We are successful only if use a jump drive to copy these files. We are all full administrators on our PC's and full admin rights on the folders we are attempting to copy. Some of the files were created by us and we have full rights over these files.

All of the options in this post have been attempted and all have failed. Until we understand the nature and remedy of this problem we will not deploy the 2000+ PC's to the rest of our organization.

XP to XP copy works

XP to jump drive to VISTA works

XP to VISTA does not work

If this post is monitored by a Microsoft Support somebodythatknowssomething, we would like to hear your comments.

barnesra, Jun 5, 2008
  8. bj33790

guenthpw

Your instructions make sense but they didn't work for me either. Am trying to copy files from an XP system to a Vista Home Premium system within the same workgroup. Always get the message "Destination folder access denied".

guenthpw, Aug 15, 2008
  9. bj33790

scorch

Worked for me too. I used to have unlocker a while back. Just thought there could be a fix for this without using another program. oh well.

scorch, Oct 21, 2008
  10. bj33790

isd

Final attempt to deal with Vista crap.

I am accessing files located on a different computer trough network. I am logging as administrator on both computers. (I am logging on the source computer as administrator of that computer, a different user than the vista admin.)

I want to copy a folder that contains some files (.nef) and a subfolder containing tiffs.

All files and folders have exactly the same access rights.

I am able to copy the 1st folder and all the nif files, but when it reaches the subfolder it gives me the destination folder access denied.

I can still return this and I kind of had it with endless issues, this is the final drop.

Nothing mentioned so far worked.

Any ideas?

isd, Oct 24, 2008
  11. bj33790

WAW8

Unless you unhid the "real" Administrator accounts on the Vista machines, you are NOT logging in as the admin. This is a common misconception carried over from XP where the default user was created as a full-access Administrator. This is NOT the case with Vista -- in which the default user account is a General user, with only some admin rights.

Also, a second misconception is that turning off UAC automatically grants full access permissions to the default user. This is also NOT true.

Finally, also unlike XP, Vista has locked out some of the standard directories against access, so even as the real Administrator, you will still get access denied messages. This is a typical source of confusion and frustration when you're trying to copy files from either Program Files or Documents and Settings on XP to the similar locations on Vista -- Vista simply won't let you do that.

WAW8, Oct 25, 2008
  12. bj33790

shperlam

How do I unhide the "real" admin features, then? I am running Vista through BootCamp, and it's not letting me delete some program files I intend to never use (such as Windows Media Player and the MSN crap). I already changed the owner of C drive to my account (is this a bad idea?) and gave myself "full control" permission, and yet it is still giving me the "destination folder access denied" message.

shperlam, Oct 26, 2008
  13. bj33790

WAW8

Go into our General Technical forum, where you'll find a pinned post about how to do that.

Since you mentioned Boot Camp, I'm presuming you're trying to do this on a Mac? If that's the case, all bets are off as any infrastructure abnormalities are likely to be the victim of emulation glitches. You may be lucky in that someone else here may be able to replicate and debug your problems, but this community is largely native Windows users, with a few Linux users as well.

WAW8, Oct 28, 2008
  14. bj33790

user33

Hi,

I had this problem (Destination Folder Access Denied) 3-4 months ago trying to copy files between vista and xp in a workgroup environment, no domain. I was not able to share vistas files without compromising the security...

Recently I reinstalled the machines and after applying the latest patches from ms it worked fine.

machine 1:
    vista home-&gt;service pack1-&gt;+patches:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-dec.mspx
    +Affected Software and Download Locations
    +Windows Operating System and Components
    +Windows Vista

machine 2:
    xp pro sp3 +patches
    +Windows XP

shared a folder on vista and when accessed from xp it ask for user and password. I provided the local vista user-it is different from xp. Everything is working now. I can copy and paste files freely.

user33, Dec 30, 2008
  15. bj33790

frankbicknell

YES! That is the solution. Thank You.

frankbicknell, Apr 9, 2009
  16. bj33790

jqojajo

What worked for me and I hope works for you is to reboot your computer in safemode then try deleting the folder(s) you wish to delete.

jqojajo, Jun 27, 2009
  17. bj33790

mattinahat

Hey everyone,

I'm having the same problem but with a little different configuration and I'm pulling my hair out. I've been going in circles for two days and I'm starting to lose my mind.

I have a new Vista Home Premium laptop that can see my home desktop running XP SP3; however, when I try and transfer files from my XP desktop to the Vista Laptop I get the message "destination folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action"

I dont know what to do. I thought I had permission and I thought I was running administrator on both machines... any help is super appreciated!

Thanks!

-Matt

mattinahat, Jul 31, 2009
  18. bj33790

WAW8

You're almost certainly NOT running as Admin on the Vista machine -- unless you went to the trouble to unhide the true Admin account and are logging in using that. Look a few posts up for info on where to go to find out how to unhide the real Admin account. It doesn't work the same way as it did on XP.

WAW8, Aug 1, 2009
  19. bj33790

peteyc20

That's either

a) a totallynaive answer

or

b) a true answer to a moronic oversight by microsoft.

Excuse me folks, but isn't copying files over a network a very fundamental task our operating system should come ready to do? I'm also struggling trying to copy files off my old XP machine. Vista will do a few hundred files and then for some apparently random reason refuse to copy other files. I have over 22,000 files I need to copy. So far I've gotten through 350 of them, but there's still 13 that I had to "skip" because of this moronic DFAD error message.

I've waited until now to go to Vista because I've heard horror stories. I figured now that Service Pac 2 is out, MS should have most of the major bugs worked out. I can't believe that this is still unresolved!

I'm trying very hard to be constructive here. But WTF?????????????????????????????????????????

peteyc20, Aug 2, 2009
  20. bj33790

peteyc20

Why on earth should we have to log in as the "secret administrator" to simply copy some files that are sitting on another computer? (files that are already shared by XP with permissions to "share" and "allow network users to change my files")

Doesn't anyone at MS scratch their head and ask themselves if this makes sense? Why on earth are we required to do things like this?

The other solutions on this topic are equally ridiculous. ie.

-Requiring the files be PUSHED from the XP machine rather than pulled from the Vista machine? Huh? What if the files are on a server in another room? That's silly!

- Requiring we disableUser Access Control (then just what good is UAC in the first place?)

- Requiring we log in a secret administrator? (is every user out there who wants to share files in my office supposed to do this)

I can't believe Vista has been out this long and it still suffers from bugs like this. Simply amazing.

peteyc20, Aug 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question