Desktop Will Not Load

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by pcinfoman, Nov 12, 2008.

1. pcinfoman

pcinfoman

I am running Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 1. I know it is difficult to troubleshoot an issue without knowing exactly what hardware I have, but I do not know the exact motherboard I have, except that it is a Nvidia motherboard. I have 2GB of RAM and 2 monitors.

What is happening is this. I left the computer on last night while it was downloading a torrent using the utorrent software. When I looked at the computer this morning, it was at the login prompt. Obviously, it had rebooted. When I logged in, all I saw was the windows explorer window and a big black space where the desktop should be and there was no Start menu. I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL to get the option to shutdown and turned off the computer, pulling the power cord too. When I booted back up, I got the same thing. I tried it in safe mode, same thing. I tried it in various accounts, same thing. I can launch programs manually, because the Windows Explorer screen is there. They seem to work fine. I just have no desktop.

The computer was working perfectly for the last few months. I installed the "Desktop Notifier" program I got from GoDaddy to check my mail regularly. I had installed that on the computer in my office yesterday and do not seem to be having any problems with it.

Ideas?

pcinfoman, Nov 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. pcinfoman

WAW8

Try creating a new user profile as below and see if it has the same problems:

1) Open task manager (ctrl-alt-del)

2) Select New task at the bottom

3) Type "Control.exe"

4) Create a new user

5) Logout, then login with the new user account

If the desktop appears then the profile of the other user is corrupt.

Backup any files you want to save and then delete the corrupt profile from the hard disk. It will automatically create a new profile.

WAW8, Nov 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. pcinfoman

MrMagic

Another thing to check. If I remember correctly, last night was 'Patch Tuesday' If you automatic updates set to install, it probably rebooted your machine right in the middle of the torrent and 'ripped it'but thats just a guess and you might want to check that setting for windows updates and set it to something other than automatically install.

MrMagic, Nov 12, 2008
  4. pcinfoman

pcinfoman

Thank you for the quick replies.

I hear you and I will try it. However, both profiles on my computer do the exact same thing. If both profiles were fubarred, then fine, but I do not think this is the issue. Regardless, I will try.

That is a good idea. However, it does not solve my current problem, just explains why it might have happened.

pcinfoman, Nov 12, 2008
  5. pcinfoman

SLASH

i had the same prob last night.. but except my pc was turned off.. im running vista home prem 32bit

i was goin to to try cerating another user but there was too much to mess around with..

so i just hit the system restore to an earlier date..

it worked a charm for me.

you should try this.

SLASH, Nov 17, 2008
  6. pcinfoman

pcinfoman

OK, I finally got back to this. I created a new user account, both an admin one and a regular one. I have the exact same problem with both of them as I do with all the other accounts.

Once I manually run "explorer.exe", the desktop loads. Any other ideas?

pcinfoman, Nov 19, 2008
  7. pcinfoman

WAW8

OK, since you've determined it's a general problem, even with new user accounts, it's most likely a system file that got renamed or deleted.

Open an elevated command prompt and run "sfc /scannow". It will scan for all Vista system files and replace any that are missing or corrupted. You may need to have your Vista DVD handy.

Also, as a check, run the registry editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

What does it say on the right? It should say just "explorer.exe".

WAW8, Nov 19, 2008
  8. pcinfoman

pcinfoman

I have already done a system restore from the 11th of November. That is as far back as it would let me go. I still have the same problem.

I will check the things you just suggested and get back to you.

pcinfoman, Nov 25, 2008
  9. pcinfoman

antonyua

Hello Guys I Have the Same Problem but it occures diffrently... I had Installed Vista OSX that transforms Visual ONLY the Vista into Mac Os Leopard... So i Tried that Installed and its Wanted to Reboot the System So i Did ... when It Boot Again And logged in I was able to Only the My Documents folder that started Opened.. so From There I managed to Open The Rocket dock (that Is another Program that Manages you Sorcuts like in

Macs To Free Up Desktop ) and to open My Programs From There becuase there Isnt Start Menu, Clock Date etc..... So I want To Fixe That And Restore It Aa It Was ... i Have done Restore System But nothing Happend Some other Suggestions Please Help ME!!!!!

Here Is A Pic Of My Desktop [​IMG]

Edited:

Ok When I Open the Explorer.exe Manually Evrything Appears.. But After the Restart It doest Start Aytomatically Why..??? And Also Why the My Documents folder Opens aytomatically ???

antonyua, Dec 3, 2008
  10. pcinfoman

WAW8

Despite its name, System Restore does NOT actually restore your "system" to an earlier date; instead, it maintains copies of registry changes and system file changes (mostly resulting from Windows Updates) and simply overwrites the registry and system files with the saved versions. Other stuff, notably account information and settings, are typically unaffected.

As to your particular problem, we try our best to provide support for solving generic Vista problems, and unless one of our Moderators has specific experience with a third-party product (like the ones you mentioned), it's unlikely we can give you any detail directions on how to repair the damage that such a product has done to your system.

In my experience, for example, there are two classes of products that modify the Windows graphical look-and feel. The first selects the Classic View and uses its own graphics managers to overlay that with different styles; the second modifies the actual Windows system files. I have used the first for years in the form of WindowBlinds -- and I can verify that it is harmless. I have pointedly NOT used the second because I don't want ANYTHING messing around with my system files.

Given what doesn't work now on your system, my guess is that the product you used is of the second variety. If that's true, only the product vendor knows what their product changed and how to restore that back to its original condition.

WAW8, Dec 3, 2008
  11. pcinfoman

antonyua

so For This Isnt A solution ??? to make the Explorer Starts Every time my system Starts ??? :( Generally the Windows Working Fine...

And There Is some where Can i Find A solution For this Problem ??? or there Isnt ...

The Solution Is Format ??? oR Backup... :S

antonyua, Dec 3, 2008
  12. pcinfoman

WAW8

OK, let's try one more time ...

I presume your PC was working fine BEFORE you installed Vista OSX, right?

And it stopped working only AFTER you installed Vista OSX, right?

So, if those two statements are correct, the problem is clearly Vista OSX, not the Vista OS -- and we can't provide technical support for third-party products. Given that we have no access to your system, there is literally no way we can diagnose the damage that a third-party product has done to your system, nor (without that) can we provide steps for you to follow to repair it.

Since you didn't mention (or I didn't notice) whether or not you had Vista Business or higher, you probably don't have the feature in Vista to make a full image backup. And, if you had made such a backup, I'm sure you would have mentioned it.

Lacking a backup, your only options at this point are two:

1) Contact the Vista OSX vendor and have them walk you through removing their product and restoring your system

2) Completely reinstall Vista, either from the original DVD (if you have it), or using recovery media (or a partition) provided by the PC vendor.

WAW8, Dec 3, 2008
  13. pcinfoman

antonyua

Sorry for asking again but i think this program changed some of the system files Like Dlls In System 32 Folder .. so i there any Way to Restore the Original Files Using some Tools Of Windows Or Using the Cd of Windows or Using the Backup files ... (i Have A Restore Partition Ine My Computer Made By the Manufacturer -- And I ama USing Vista home Premium )

And Here Is One site If you Can Help seeing from There ... Please Because the Support Of the Program Doesnt Anwser me :S :S

http://patrickgs.deviantart.com/art/VistaOSX-09-Uninstall-100318778

antonyua, Dec 4, 2008
  14. pcinfoman

WAW8

Reading about the problems others have had, and apparently the lack of success as well, regarding removing Vista OSX from their machines and restoring their machines to their original conditions, I can understand the frustrations you're having.

You can try doing a "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt. You do that as follows:

1) Click on the Start button

2) Type "cmd" (without the quotes) but don't press Enter

3) Press Ctlr-Shift-Enter

4) When presented with the UAC dialog, grant permission to continue

5) This opens a command window with elevated rights

6) Enter "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes and with a space after sfc) into the window and press Enter

This will cause Vista to scan its system files looking for missing or corrupted files. It should then find and repair any file-related problems.

If this doesn't work, you will have to recover your machine using the recovery partition provided. That typically involved press F12 during boot, but it varies by machine. You will need to consult your machine documentation to see how to do the restore.

WAW8, Dec 4, 2008
  15. pcinfoman

antonyua

Ok I done this Scan And in the End It Said that some Of the files Cant be Repaired... Reboot needed to be repaired i Did the Reboot and nothing Changed( Must Again to Open Manually the explorer.exe ) and also the in the Cmd Said that the Report saved to this File...

Code:
     [url]http://rapidshare.com/files/170185365/CBS.log[/url] 
    and if you see this file in the end of it writes somewhere about the authui.dll file

Code:
     authui.dll do not match actual file [l:20{10}]"authui.dll 
    But After the Restart I scaned Again And it Doesnt found Any changes...

So if i Will do The Restore System From the Partition... all my Files ( Music ,Games , My documents, etc ... ) will be Lost ???? or only the System will be restored ?? :p

antonyua, Dec 4, 2008
  16. pcinfoman

WAW8

So, after you reboot the last time, and the sfc /scannow didn't find anything, you still have the Windows Explorer problem?

Not good.

A full system recovery (which is what the vendor-provided restore will do) will remove EVERYTHING from your machine because it restores it to the condition it was in when you first removed it from the box -- even your account is gone. It completely reformats the hard drive.

So, before you do that, you should plug in an external hard drive, or USB sticks, and copy off all the data files you want to save.

WAW8, Dec 4, 2008
  17. pcinfoman

antonyua

So there isnt Other Solution ??

Something Like Windows Repair System files or Restore ONLY the Original Ones system Files ??? i Dont want to Delete All of my Files But mostly i am Bored to Install All the Programs after .... :( :(

Off Topic :

But if It Is Nessesary to Delete all programs do you know Any Guide How to Create A package of programs and Chose which one you want to install And just Click intall All Together ? I know That the Program it Creates them Is Called " Install Unattended Eterprise " :)

antonyua, Dec 4, 2008
  18. pcinfoman

antonyua

Well First of all Thank You For All Your Help... the Solution of the Program Was There :

I have Sent you in a pm About This But probably you didnt Mentioned it :D

So The Problem Solved !!! and the solution was just simple :p

antonyua, Dec 4, 2008
  19. pcinfoman

WAW8

Glad you were able to fix it and, BTW, the sfa /scannow is the Vista version of the System File Restore that was in XP. And, no, there is no way to tell Vista to repair only specific files since the Repair Console option that was in XP has been replaced by the Startup Repair option.

WAW8, Dec 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question