desktop vista pc cannot connect to internet but xp laptop can

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by firzeh, Dec 8, 2008.

1. firzeh

firzeh

hey so anyway i have a very wierd problem with my vista desktop pc i am using a apple airport express wireless router and can connect on my laptop which is windows xp fine but cannot on my desktop pc.

so far ive found out that when i do ipconfig it says media disconnected, my piv6 is limited. but the strange thing is it says im connected to the internet when i go to network and sharing center there is nothig wrong it shows my computer the router and the globe (which is telling us that its connected to the internet).... ive tried to disable ipv6, ive tried the whole cmd command netsh int ip reset thingie all that and nothing. when i open up internet exploerer it just goes internet explorer cannot display this page etc. if i click diagnose it says there is no problems with it at alll... i have tried typing in other web adresses a;sp deleting all browsing history reseting and restoring internet explorer defaults and still nothing so.... i got no clue hope you can help

firzeh, Dec 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. firzeh

WAW8

To rule out an IE-specific problem, install an alternate browser (e.g., Firefox) and see if you get the same problems.

Check out our pinned posts in the Networking forum for things you can try to diagnose connectivity problems in Vista.

WAW8, Dec 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. firzeh

Carl P

Hi, I had a problem exactly he same as yours, desktop says connected but could not access internet but I could ping the likes of google fine. Laptop worked fine so knew it was not an ISP problem. My problem turned out to be a winsock problem. Try resetting your winsock by following this procedure.

1. All programs > Accessories > Right click on command prompt and select - Run as administrator.

2. type "netsh winsock reset" (without quotes) Press enter.

3. once that has completed, reboot your pc and try internet access again.

Hope this helps you as it helped me out.

Carl P, Dec 12, 2008
  4. firzeh

firzeh

alright about to test it out now thanks ill give it a try fingers crossed it works lol

firzeh, Dec 22, 2008
  5. firzeh

firzeh

okay it didnt work with that but the internet does work when i go into safe mode with networking so im not too sure ive also tried to disable ie's add-ons and also reset them again and have downloaded mozilla and still nothing in normal mode

firzeh, Dec 22, 2008
  6. firzeh

vic1956

finally found some sense - after using mcafee and uninstalling it I found the same 'unable to connect to the internet...' so tried your method, rebooted and Hey Presto!! That after trying all sorts over a day...getting to a point where I thought I would have to do a complete reinstall of vista.

Thanks very much for your advice. By the way this looks like a useful forum!

:p

vic1956, Jan 26, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question