Desktop background error

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by alicefred, Apr 22, 2010.

1. alicefred

alicefred

I hope it’s right section for my question. I have a newly purchased Acer Aspire laptop, which I got last month from Buy.com via http://www.dealrocker.com. I cannot access my desktop background. Whenever I go to desktop personalization, I get an error message says "This feature has been disabled - Contact System Administrator". I am the administrator on my laptop. Can't figure out how to fix this problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

alicefred, Apr 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. alicefred

WAW8

Are you sure this is a new machine? Asking because this kind of disabling is typically done using Policy keys in the Registry for machines bought by companies -- and then, typically to prevent their employees from changing the default desktop wallpaper into something that other folks may consider "offensive".

So, the first thing I would confirm is that this is a NEW machine.

Second thing is to open the registry editor and check to see if either of the following keys is in place:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "Wallpaper"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

"Wallpaper"

WAW8, Apr 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question