Dell Vostro 400 gets stuck on F1

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by steadyone, Jun 4, 2014.

1. steadyone

steadyone

Hello all, My friend has Vista Basic 32 bit. She has a Dell Vostro 400. Well since she added the E machine Monitor she has had to always push F1 to get it to go in start up mode. Well now she says, she has to continually push F1 until it goes into startup mode. So we are not sure what is going on.'

Can any of you help us with this issue.

I would like to work this problem out.

Thanks

steadyone, Jun 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. steadyone

steadyone

Hello any reply's?

steadyone, Jun 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. steadyone

steadyone

Just wondering if anyone is in this group.

steadyone, Jun 7, 2014
  4. steadyone

Ian Administrator

There are still members here, but I'm not sure what could be causing this problem unfortunately.

Is there a longer error message? For example, asking to press F1 to retry reboot or to ignore some sort of problem. I think this is BIOS related, rather than with Vista. It could be that the BIOS is misconfigured and it's looking for drives that don't exist, but we'd need the full message to know.

Ian, Jun 11, 2014
  5. steadyone

steadyone

Hi thanks for responding. Well I can only tell you that when she got a new monitor a few years back she installed a graphic's card drivers and every since it takes her to a black and white screen that says, "and it says, Attention: Unsupportive Video configuration Detected.

Action is required this computer has an Add -In graphic's card, but the monitor cable is plugged into the intergraded Video connecter.

1. Shut down the computer
    2.Plug the monitor cable into the add-in graphics ca video card connector. This may require a video adapter or video cable.(Provide with the system.)
    3. Turn on the computer

This message should not appear after completing these steps.
    for more information or help please refer to the system documentation.

Diskette drive 0

Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup.

(We made sure we placed the cable into the right adapter).

Well my friend no longer uses the monitor and now we can barley get the computer to setup now. It wont let us even go to F3 to do a factory.

So could use some help here for sure.

steadyone, Jun 12, 2014
  6. steadyone

Ian Administrator

What happens if you connect the monitor to the other graphics card port?

The BIOS is stumbling on a problem, but I'd only recommend tweaking the settings if you are quite confident you know what they mean. It's a very quick job for someone to do in a repair shop, so if you can find someone cheap then it may be worth doing - it shouldn't be a big job at all (10 mins max!).

If you do want to try it yourself (via F2), you can try disabling the integrated graphics card and check your hard drive settings (so that you only have the connections enabled that are active). I can't give much more detailed information than this, as each BIOS varies in how things work. I'd suggest that this is one problem that would be more easily fixed by someone sitting at the PC, rather than over the net (where we can fix most things).

Ian, Jun 12, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question