Deleting a device driver when device manager is broken.

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Tucks, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Tucks

Tucks

Hi, My device manager is broken. It lists all devices ok, but I cannot right click, or click on the actions menu. If I double click a device a small dialog box pops up and goes away again.

1, How do I get my device manager working correctly - Do I need a vista repair disk? Can I repair vista device manager without mucking up anything else?
    2. How can I remove a device without device manager? e.g. Registry edit. I have two non working devices listed which I added by mistake. Now when I boot up my PC it always tries to re-install these device drivers and fails. I just want to get rid of them.

Any help appreciated.
    Andy.

Tucks, Jun 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Tucks

Ian Administrator

The only time I've seen device manager cause problems like that was when there was a virus on the computer, it prevented device manager from working properly, specific exe's (anti-virus apps) from running, plus messed with things like msconfig.

Just in case, can you run an AV scan and see if anything crops up?

Can you access Device Manager in safe mode?

You may be able to use devcon.exe to manage hardware from the command line:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544707(v=vs.85).aspx

Ian, Jun 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Tucks

Tucks

Thanks - I used devcon

I still had the same problem in safe mode with Device Manager not funtioning properly. A virus scan didn't come up with anything, but I managed to remove the relevant device drivers using DevCon on Windows Vista Home Premium

I downloaded devcon from the following link.
    "<http>://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272"

Thanks again,
    Tucks.

Tucks, Jun 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question