'Default Programs command object for Start menu' in place of 'Default Programs' on Start Menu

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Maul, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Maul

Maul

Sorry, I tried searching but couldn't really find anything on it. One day I opened my Start menu and noticed it was a lot wider than normal. The second-to-last option on the right side, just above 'Help and Support' had changed from 'Default Programs' to 'Default Programs command object for Start menu.' Has anyone seen this, have any idea how it could have happened or how to fix it? I started a windows repair and it found an issue, but said if the computer restarted normally it was fixed. It did so, so it fixed something, just not this issue. I figure I may have to reinstall windows or something, but wanted to check here first. Oh, I'm also running AVG, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, and nothing out of the ordinary has been found.

Thanks in advance!

Maul, Feb 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Maul

WAW8

Might help if you first tell us why you were running a windows repair. These have a lot of drastic effects in Vista and should not be done routinely.

WAW8, Feb 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Maul

Maul

Sorry, I was running it hoping it might take care of this issue.

Maul, Feb 9, 2008
  4. Maul

WAW8

Just so I know what we're talking about ...

Did you do a Vista repair, or did you do a reinstallation of Vista?

WAW8, Feb 10, 2008
  5. Maul

Maul

Sure, no problem. I just did a repair. It mentioned that it would try to fix any problems it found and may restart many times during the process. If Windows started normally, it was repaired. It found something, restarted and came up normal. I figured a reinstall of Vista would be a last resort. Also, I forgot to mention, when you click on the now 'Default Programs command object for Start Menu' it will open, but only the four icons come up, no text.

Maul, Feb 10, 2008
  6. Maul

WAW8

There are several registry settings for Default Programs, the first of which contains the full string that you're seeing.

The entry for the start menu should be as follows:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

Name: @C:\Windows\system32\sud.dll,-1

Type: REG_SZ

Data: Default Programs

Name: @sud.dll,-1

There are a lot of entries like this, each with different keys, but everywhere you see "sud.dll" in the entry Name, and REG_SZ in the entry Type, the Data should contain "Default Programs", not the full string you're seeing.

So, use regedit to Find all instances of "sud.dll". Change all that have the same three sets of entries (Name, Type, Data) as above to have the Data read Default Programs.

That should fix it.

WAW8, Feb 10, 2008
  7. Maul

Maul

My apologies for such a long time with no response. I've searched the Registry and found the string you referenced in two places, but not where you said. However, they did read:

Name: @C:\Windows\system32\sud.dll,-1

One was located:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

The other:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

Also, when searching for just "sud" I found a few things that referene it, like in:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966}

The entries:

Name: Info Tip, Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ Data: @%SystemRoot%\System32\sud.dll,-10

Name: LocalizedString Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ Data: @%SystemRoot%\System32\sud.dll,-1

Another, this one I found in a couple of places, here's just one example:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1968106d-f3b5-44cf-890e-116fcb9ecef1}\InProcServer32

Name: (Default) Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ Data: %SystemRoot%\System32\sud.dll

Sorry if that's a bunch of useless info. Just thought it would be better to have too much than too little. Any ideas?

Thanks again for everything!

Maul, Mar 6, 2008
  8. Maul

WAW8

I would hesitate to change the other keys. The two I found on my machine were where the text string was saved. My guess was that you would have the same keys, but the text would include the full name -- which you could then modify to restore to the short name. If you don't have the same registry keys, you probably should not mess with the other ones.

WAW8, Mar 7, 2008
  9. Maul

Maul

Yeah, I was little nervous to try that as well. Any other suggestions? Here's some screenshots of what I'm seeing. I can't use it to set any Default Programs and there's a few I'd like to change.

Thanks again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maul, Mar 7, 2008
  10. Maul

WAW8

The only other idea that comes to mind is restoring the default Windows System files. To do this, you open an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow". Notice there's no space between the "/" and "scannow". That will force Vista to scan it's system files to see if any are missing or corrupted. It will most likely prompt for a Vista DVD, after all, it has to get the original files from somewhere.

WAW8, Mar 7, 2008
  11. Maul

Maul

Well, we're at least getting a little further I guess. :) I ran the check and it said it found files that it couldn't repair, never asked for the DVD. It mentions the "sud.dll.mui" four times in the log of the check though. All four entries look to be the same except for the numbers after CSI. It didn't find problems with any other files. I'm not sure what the .mui is, but is my sud.dll corrupted? My wife's laptop runs Vista, can I copy hers and replace mine with it? (Renaming my old one first, in case I need to go back for some reason.)

One entry:

2008-03-08 10:32:59, Info CSI 00000101 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"sud.dll.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-sud.Resources, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2008-03-08 10:33:00, Info CSI 00000103 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"sud.dll.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-sud.Resources, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2008-03-08 10:33:00, Info CSI 00000106 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:58{29}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\en-US"\[l:22{11}]"sud.dll.mui"; source file in store is also corrupted
    2008-03-08 10:33:02, Info CSI 00000108 [SR] Verify complete

Maul, Mar 10, 2008
  12. Maul

WAW8

Did we discuss "sfc /scannow"? That can be run from an elevated command prompt to restore the default Vista system files.

WAW8, Mar 10, 2008
  13. Maul

Maul

Yes, those entries are from the log when I ran that. Basically it said it couldn't repair them I guess. The only thing is I'm not sure what you mean by "elevated command prompt." I ran cmd.exe as an administrator. Is that the same thing?

Maul, Mar 10, 2008
  14. Maul

WAW8

Yes -- it's the same thing. If you press ctl-shift-Enter after entering "cmd", it will popup a UAC panel and open a command window as the Administrator.

WAW8, Mar 11, 2008
  15. Maul

Maul

Since it couldn't repair, how about copying the sud.dll from my wife's Vista laptop? Any risk there if I rename my old one first (in case I need to go back?)

Maul, Mar 12, 2008
  16. Maul

WAW8

If your two Vistas are the same version, that might work. You're liable to run into Ownership problems, but that's another issue.

WAW8, Mar 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question