Data Execution Prevention

Discussion in 'Security' started by Wahn, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Wahn

Wahn

Hi,

I have a WD Smart Drive which I would like to install on my computer. When I plug the drive into my PC windows detects the Smart Drive installer as though it were a CD in the CD Drive, even though it is from the external HDD.

I cannot execute the WD Smart Drive installer from thisvirtual "drive". Windows tells me that Data Execution Prevention is blocking it. I have tried to add this *.exe to the list of files that wont be blocked , but good old Vista tells me that this file cannot be added to the list... How can I install my Smart Drive? Any ideas?

Many thanks,

W~

Wahn, Jul 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Wahn

WAW8

Sorry ... not able to provide support for third-party SW in Vista, in this case, the WD software. I looked at the FAQ on their website about connecting WD drives to Vista, and they didn't indicate any problems of this kind.

Your best bet, since WD doesn't seem to have a FAQ to address this, would be to contact their support organization, describe your problem, and see what they suggest.

They may have a patch or SW upgrade you can apply that will fix the problem.

I connect a variety of external hard drives to my machine daily and have yet to have a problem with any of them.

WAW8, Jul 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Wahn

Wahn

I contacted WD and they say they cannot help me since the problem has something to do with my Vista security configuration and not the WD drive...

How do I turn off this Windows security feature in Vista? Any ideas?

Many thanks,

W~

Wahn, Jul 2, 2010
  4. Wahn

WAW8

WAW8, Jul 2, 2010
  5. Wahn

Wahn

Hi WAW8,

as I said in my first post, Vista wont let me add this software to th list of programs it does not block... I already tried following the windows instruction in windows help, which are the same as the link you posted.

How can I turn off Data Execution Prevention entirely?

I got me computer back from repair - the people there reinstalled windows and seem to have added a high security option for the pc I use... Is there any way to select less security? I have Norton anyhow.

Many thanks for your replies,

W~

Wahn, Jul 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question