Data deleted during boot up

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by rajeebta, Sep 29, 2011.

1. rajeebta

rajeebta

When I boot up my laptop with Windows Vista, during boot-up process is showed many messages like "Deleting index..." (some messages similar to this) and the system boot up. After boot up I lost my full D drive data had deleted and d drive were showing "Access is denied" while accessing.

Following is my partition details and other details

C: Primary NTFS partition
    Extended Partition
    5 GL Ubuntu
    117 GB NTFS (D:)
    10 GB Recovery Partition (E:)

Laptop: Lenovo Y400

The D drive where full when I was booting up.

Is there any way to get whole files back?
    recovery software listing only few folders and files.

Access denied issue I have solved with by taking the ownership of the drive and by adding the user to the User Groups in the security tab.

I could see only following folders in my D drive now

$RECYCLE.BIN
    MSI2675b.tmp
    MSOCache
    Program Files
    System Volume Information

Please help me to get my data back.

If data is not reliable on Vista, everybody will start using other operating systems.

rajeebta, Sep 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. rajeebta

WAW8

Notice that you appear to have Ubuntu installed on your PC as well.

Did you make changes to Windows files while inside Ubuntu? That runs the risk of corrupting the Windows filesystem if the volume is not cleanly dismounted.

An unclean dismount will force a CHKDSK -- and THAT is most likely the set of messages you saw.

I regularly post on the Ubuntu forum and am constantly telling folks NOT to make changes to Windows OS partition files from inside Ubuntu.

The best Windows filesystem recovery tool I have used is GetDataBack for NTFS from Runtime Software. You can download a trial version and run it to see if it finds your files. But if the lost files were on the OS partition, you will have to physically remove the drive from this PC and connect it to another. Also, the more you use Windows on this PC, the lower the chances of getting ANY of the files back.

WAW8, Sep 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. rajeebta

d_l

some options

I have a dual boot system .. Windows Vista and Ubuntu in separate partitions.

And I have experienced data loss through disk corruption.

There are many posts on ubuntu forum about data recovery.

I agree that too much usage of Windows runs the risk of making your data recovery difficult. However if you are trying to recover data from your D partition you can install a recovery program in the C partition.

I have successfully used RecoverMyFiles from www.getdata.com. There is a trial version you can use to look for lost files before buying a licence.

Alternatively you can download free ubuntu live CD and install it in a bootable CD. Boot up ubuntu live cd and inspect your D partition from within ubuntu.

Read about "testdisk" in ubuntu forum .. but this has the disadvantage that file names are not recovered.

When booted up in ubuntu live cd search for articles on data recovery. Also clarify how your partitions are formatted by running bootinfo script in ubuntu.

d_l, Oct 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question