crtl alt delte screen flicker

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by KillerPacman, Mar 2, 2008.

1. KillerPacman

KillerPacman

When I originally installed Vista the screen flicker for the UAC permission boxes and crtl alt delete were pretty quick and not very annoying. After installing some updates from windows updates the screen flicker time went up to 5 seconds each flicker. I disabled the UAC flicker all together by editing the registry but I can't seem to find out how todisable it for crtl alt delete.

Also if someone knows how I can change it to still have the flicker but in a much shorter time length like before I got the updates that would be optimum since I could keep the extra security...

KillerPacman, Mar 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. KillerPacman

Jason

The flicker isn't set for a specific amount of time. The amount of time it displays is purely dependent on the speed of your computer. I would try de-fragmenting your drive using Vista's tools.

Jason, Mar 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. KillerPacman

WAW8

If you're talking about the darkening of the screen when the UAC popup appears, this isn't screen flicker, this is something that MS calls the Secure Desktop. As you have found, there are ways to prevent Secure Desktop from launching, such that you can see and have access to the rest of the desktop -- but it's an all or nothing thing. There's no timer you can set.

WAW8, Mar 3, 2008
  4. KillerPacman

KillerPacman

Basically the whole screen seems to turn off for about 3 seconds then the menu pops up. The same thing happens after I click yes/no. If I put the recovery disc in and reset my computer the time the screen is blank is much much less and not annoying. After I run windows update is when the problem occurs again so it has something to do with one of the updates...

KillerPacman, Mar 7, 2008
  5. KillerPacman

WAW8

Sorry to hear that. Looks like you're going to have "fun" figuring out which update slowed down your machine. Don't envy you.

BTW, in our Tips & Tweaks forum, there's a post on how to disable the screen darkening when the UAC popup appears.

WAW8, Mar 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question