Crime really does pay

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by cyclic, Dec 12, 2007.

1. cyclic

cyclic

How many have taken the time to read fully what MS is doing in removing the kill switch for Vista ?

It works like this, everytime you boot and at least once an hour you get a message reminding you it's not a genuine copy and a link to allow you to easily get a proper key for it...........here's the reward if you do click through and buy a key it will be at half the price of the retail upgrade version at $119 dollars............I believe they are sending out exactly the wrong message to people here, if you bought a retail copy legally and value the software enough to buy it you have paid double the amount that someone who is willing to steal it and later when caught, their punishment for which is a half price version .

So peeps like us who value their work and are willing to pay what was never a really good price and have supported their system from it's outset don't get so much as a thank you, our money is gonna be used to let acknowledged thieves the opportunity to get what we have at half the price. I wonder what we are supposed to advise people who are just thinking of buying Vista from their local retailer.......I can barely bringmyself to type it, but I sure know what I would do.

Option 1. Buy a genuine copy from a retailer at lets call it world wide currency (whatever) unit of 200 whatever

Option 2. Obtain pirated copy, fail to activate, get caught, make it genuine by paying just 100 whatever

Now tell me crime doesn't pay and will Microsoft expect anyone to buy their next OS from retail ?

cyclic, Dec 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. cyclic

MrMagic

One factor you didn't mention is that the pirate copy MAY be full of virus, spyware and other nasties, so if you pay your $100 or so to make a pirate copy legal, you still have to live with whatever might have been embedded in the pirate copy.

Steve

MrMagic, Dec 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. cyclic

cyclic

It is and always has been an absolute myth about pirate software being full of nasties, a very few out of the thousands available to download are infected, the vast majority work fine, it stands to reason that 'torrent' sites for instance are thriving, this wouldn't be the case if what was available was not only useless but damaging.

It's the way the community at large has tried in vain to deter people from trying this type of download by spreading propoganda which I suppose may work for some and put them off, but if you ever look at the number of people in torrent swarms downloading the latest games and films etc; around the net there is conservatively 2 million plus people day and night illegally downloading stuff.

The biggest irony against the software industry giving out the same old, 'well if you want your PC full of viruses' etc; is that probably the largest single software group downloaded is for security products, anti vi and malware, spyware etc;

I just don't see how they can complain how much money they loose by people downloading their product illicitly then when discovered give them a hefty discount, thank you very much.

cyclic, Dec 12, 2007
  4. cyclic

kingofnexus

Torrents are not only there for illegal downloads. But some of the so called 'illegal' downloads are just their for the fact that they charge too much, or they release in different parts of the world unessarily at different times.

For instance, heroes (TV series), is available to stream for free off the nbc website, only for people in america. I'm not american, and I dont care to wait till feburary to watch season 2. Solution? Download the episodes via torrents.

Another example, the other week a Futurama movie was released to dvd. Again, only in america. It doesn't even have a release date for the UK. Again only solution is to download the dvd rip via torrents so that I can watch it.

kingofnexus, Dec 12, 2007
  5. cyclic

PC509

That sucks. I want a discount as a legit owner of Vista. So, if I were to steal a car, I get the option to purchase it for half the blue book value?! Ferarri, here I come! Same concept...

Microsoft is still punishing the legit users here. If it is a pirated copy, you should have to pay FULL RETAIL PRICE. No discounts. No pass go. No collect $200. And an additional fee to cover anti-piracy.

Well, at least I know how to get Vista for cheap on another computer... Better than OEM...

PC509, Dec 12, 2007
  6. cyclic

blackhat

the problem with the paid versions is that you always have the risk it stops working someday because of the activation.

I refuse to waste 1 euro a minute (and at least 30 minutes waiting time)to get it working again. I already paid €375 for it. thats 550 USD

is that my reward for doing something legal

blackhat, Dec 12, 2007
  7. cyclic

cyclic

I don't have anything against torrents personally, I have downloaded a number of things using the system which are not blatently illicit and I have no axe to grind with people who download whatever they see fit, but my problem is when someone downloads software that I need, by virtue of my own morales, to purchase that when caught for doing so are given it at half what I had to pay and yes I know that there are other methods of getting software other than via torrents I just picked on them as being the most popular to illustrate a point.

I can think of no other instance when an illicit act is punished with a 50% discount off the purchase price of the article gained unlawfully.

cyclic, Dec 13, 2007
  8. cyclic

Jason

I'm not saying that I have ever downloaded an Illegal application but from what I've heard and what makes the most sense as far as programmer is concered. Infecting the software itself is not an easy task which is why the majority of the time the software is fine, it's the crack you download for it which has all kinds of backdoor trojans loaded up on it, since this little crack is in essence a homebrew app.

BTW, I've never heard about the option of allowing them to purchase the activation at a lower price. Has anyone actually confirmed this w/ a screenshot or is it rumor? I just can't belive that a company held to such high standards as Microsoft would do something so stupid as enable pirating. Which is basically what they are doing, if indeed this is happening.

Jason, Dec 13, 2007
  9. cyclic

cyclic

I thought you would have thought better of me than one to post rumours, I didn't have you down as a doubting Thomas however for your edification is an article which confirms what I originally posted. Using Google you can find any number of tech. sites that confirm this.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=334

It doesn't say it's half price you need to check current retail prices for yourself to confirm the discount. it shouldn't be any surprise to those keeping up with Tech.news generally as they did the same for XP

It had never occured to me that what I post might be doubted and require verification, nice to know the level of trust you place in your Mods, Jason.

cyclic, Dec 14, 2007
  10. cyclic

Jason

I'm sorry Cylic, you may have taken it the wrong way. I was curious as to where the source was, since I had never heard it before I wanted to read up on it since it is an interesting topic. Bad wording on my part, I was in a rush when I typed that. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. In no way was I doubting you, you are probably one of the most educated guys on the forums and its good to have you on the team. There always is a lot of speculation surround inside news like this on a fairly new OS and it is posted up frequently all over the web, In no way was it a personal attack.

The level of trust I hold in all the moderator is quite high, you all have the ability to delete the entire forum. ;)

Jason, Dec 14, 2007
  11. cyclic

cyclic

Perhaps it WAS good to have me on the team, it no longer is.

cyclic, Dec 14, 2007
  12. cyclic

WAW8

Guess I'll add my 2-cents ...

As a fellow "Vista Goddess" (before you ask, no, I didn't choose the title), and also as a ex-beta-Vista-testor, I'm both disgusted and surprised at this latest "what-the-hell-is-MS-thinking?" move of offering deep discounts to OS pirates.

Not that I object in principle to trying out various kinds of "xxxx-ware" stuff to see how well it works before plonking down hundreds of bucks to buy it. But that's due primarily to the combination of no-refund policies and insanely high prices.

So, now, instead of the PC suddenly dropping into RFM, and you having to either find a new "crack" or having to reinstall from scratch and try the 120-day trial stuff again (which MS may also have disabled now), you just have to put up with some nagging popups.

WOW!! That will sure force the "pirates" to run out and buy real copies <G> Care to guess how long its going to take them to come up with a patch that disables the nag screens? Myguess is that will be well before SP 1 turns Final.

But then, maybe MS feels that some money, even if a deep discount, for their new OS is better than no money at all, and since they apparently can't fix their false-positives-from-WGA-crippling-legitimate-machines problem, maybe this is their only workable solution.

So now, that leaves only the patched BIOS as the sole workaround to legal versions -- and neither MS nor the vendors are going to spend the millions it will take to "fix" that.

WAW8, Dec 14, 2007
  13. cyclic

Pr0crast

This will be a blunt post w/ my thoughts on the matter, so prepare yourselves. Anybody who has taken a course in economics will clearly recognize this tactic as a form of pricing discrimination. If possible to do legally, such a tactic makes fantastic business sense. It's the same thing when you go to the movie theater and senior/child tickets cost significantly less than regular tickets. Presumably this is to make the movies more appealing to groups that have a propensity to "pinch pennies" as it were (retirees have a tight budget and only passive income, families with children are often spread pretty thin financially). The movie theater makes more money by "accepting" less profit from those individuals who are less likely to pay full price than to just lock them out altogether. This is best illustrated with a pretty graph, but for now you'll have to just imagine it.

Anyway, people who pirate windows are generally people who can't afford to buy windows anyway. Think students or people with lower incomes. Offering these individuals an affordable, legal alternative to "black market" options makes perfect business sense.

But you see this as "unfair." By this logic, why aren't you also complaining that richer people get taxed more than poor people? By your logic, shouldn't all people, regardless of $1,000,000 or $10,000 income, pay the same dollar amount of taxes? The fact that you can even justify paying $300 retail or whatever it is for Vista says a lot about your income level. You have to realize that for the people you think are getting this "unfair" discount, they probably have to work exactly as many hours at their jobs to afford Vista at that price ($10/hr x 10 = $100, $30/hr x 10 = $300), and even then spending $100 on an OS like vista when XP does the job just fine makes zero sense for their limited budgets.

So grow the hell up and stop whining like little babies. If you want to get the same discount you know exactly how to do it (just install your legit Vista with a bad key and wait for the discount pop-up). If you think MS truly deserves your money for Vista (and you paid full price) then surely you must thing that MS also must deserve the extra profit margin acquired by using this tactic. Whining about this is so utterly selfish and petty and fickle.

Pr0crast, Dec 23, 2007
  14. cyclic

Setishock

There is an unspoken forum ediquett at most forum you go to. Backing up what you post is a part of that. If you think that mostwould accept anything that gets posted in blind faith then you're wrong. I for one want to see where you got your information and decide for myself.

Putting a link to back up some thing you post also helps prevent flame wars and fanboy blow outs. It instead generates some interesting conversations.

Setishock, Jan 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question