Crashed! Safe mode works. SysRestore does nothing. Help please!

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by spacifique1, Feb 23, 2008.

1. spacifique1

spacifique1

I've been burning DVDs all day today. At one point, the system became very slow and would not respond. I tried everything but finally had to use power button to kill the laptop.

I rebooted the system, but once i login, the system keeps booting until the HDD stops. I tried F8 and Sysrestore (a few times) but no result; HDD stops after about 30 seconds. If I restart and leave it on Login screen, HDD stops again after a few seconds. Looks like something is killing the HDD in normal mode (not safe mode).

Mouse does not freeze, but ctrl+alt+del does not work.

Safe mode works perfectly. I can transfer files between HDDs without any problem. I can access HDD and everything...

If I login quickly enough, HDD stops after a while and nothing (sidebar, AVG, etc...) loads. The mouse cursor shows busy when hovering on taskbar.

HP Dv9515Tx

Vista Home Premium (pre-loaded)

C: is on primary HDD and HP recovery is on a partition of primary HDD. The partition was factory.

I tried all the normal ways to startup.

Any help would be great.

spacifique1, Feb 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. spacifique1

WAW8

I'm not understanding your description of the problem.

By definition, the HDD never "stops" until it is powered down and shut off. I think what you may be saying is that the activity light either stops blinking or goes dark. That is not your HDD "stopping"; that's just lack of hard drive activity.

When Vista boots, there is a lot of hard drive activity because it's processing a lot of stuff to load the OS, read you profile, establish your settings, and process all the commands in the Startup section, In addition, some AV products add a lot of extra activity because they force Vista to do a file scan right after boot. If you have the Sidebar activated, there is an additional delay while that is loaded and all the gadgets are processed. It also takes time to load the network settings if you're connected to a local network or to the internet. During all of this, you will see a rotating circle on the desktop and you won't be able to click anything.

Once all that is done, you will see the hard drive activity light go dark, and the rotating circle will change into the normal mouse cursor. Now, you will be able to click on things and launch programs.

This is normal behaviour.

So, what is happening that is different in your case?

Note: Unless you're asking how to completely recover your OS (backup or reinstallation), this post should be in the Technical Support forum. Unless I hear back otherwise, I'll be moving this post there in the next day or so. Please look for it there.

WAW8, Feb 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. spacifique1

spacifique1

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for not being precise in my description. What I meant to say was that there is no more HDD activity after a few seconds and the laptop stops responding.

It usually takes about 3-5mins for startup, but I tried to let it go for about 15mins, just to see if something would happen. Unfortunately, nothing happened. It just stayed stuck there.

Anyway, I did a complete restore using the Vista image that I had on a partition. Thanks anyway.

spacifique1, Feb 24, 2008
  4. spacifique1

WAW8

Sorry to hear you had to do that. Must be really frustrating.

So, is the machine OK now, I mean, does it still hang, or does it finally settle down and let you do stuff?

WAW8, Feb 25, 2008
  5. spacifique1

spacifique1

The machine is like new now. It's a kind of mixed blessing, because I had a few programs that were just taking space...

Anyway the Factory Disc Image is really convenient. I wanted to know if anyone knows how to change this factory image. The laptop comes preloaded with Vista Home Premium and unfortunately with lots of trial software and advertisements. Is there a way to get rid of all these useless programs directly from the Factory Image?

Thanks.

spacifique1, Feb 27, 2008
  6. spacifique1

WAW8

The factory restore DVD may be editable, it may not -- depends on its structure. If it's a collection of files and programs, you could experiment with copying the contents to your hard drive, deleting programs you don't want (making sure that any scripts that install these programs are removed as well), and when you're done, burning a new bootable DVD. But that's a lot of work and more detail than we can go into on this forum.

If, instead, it's modeled after the Vista DVDs, and it's merely a compressed image file, that's a whole lot more work. You would have to acquire and install the Vista deployment software, (would be better done on a different machine), uncompress the contents of the restore DVD, and then build a new deployment image. You would have to google extensively about WAIK (Windows Administrative Installation Kit) and supporting processes.

So, basically, if you question was "is this a simple process", unfortunately, the answer is no.

Also, since you said initially that your machine worked fine in Safe mode, the next time it starts to bog down, launch MSCONFIG, go into the startup panel, disable all the items being loaded, and re-enable them, one at a time, until you find out which one is causing the slow down. That way, you won't have to reinstall Vista (and all the bloatware) again.

WAW8, Feb 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question