Cpu speed constantly on 100%

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by mrsingh, Sep 10, 2010.

1. mrsingh

mrsingh

Hi all

Im new on here, Hoping to get some help :)

My Cpu speed keeps getting stuck at 100% and my whole comp just slows down e.g. cursor lags alot nothing opens etc. When i check task manager to see whats causing this, it shows "explorer" to be the open using up the cpu speed. Ive tried ending the process and then running explorer.exe again and it works fine for a few minutes then does it again :S.

Ive have done an antivirus check, Used spybot search and destroy and also tried the Kaspersky rescue disk check and they all showed the system to be clean :S

My system is an Acer aspire 8920g laptop running vista 32bit.

Please could someone help

Thanks in advance

MrSingh

mrsingh, Sep 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. mrsingh

Ian Administrator

Hi MrSingh, welcome to the forums :)

Has this problem suddenly happened, and does it also occur in safe mode? Also, which Anti-Virus application did you scan with?

Ian, Sep 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. mrsingh

mrsingh

yes it kind of has happened all of a sudden. I havent made any new hardware changes or installed any new software. Im using AVG 9.0 antivirus. I havent tried in safe mode yet but will check and report back

:)

mrsingh, Sep 10, 2010
  4. mrsingh

mrsingh

Right, ive tried in safe mode and it seemed to work fine ( i only tried it for a few minutes).
    Its seemed to have calmed down now but it still shoots up to 100% sometimes and stays there and then i have to end the explorer process and restart a new task. :S

mrsingh, Sep 13, 2010
  5. mrsingh

mrsingh

seems to be doing it alot now. This time happened when trying to open up a file in windows media player :S

Any ideas?

mrsingh, Sep 13, 2010
  6. mrsingh

Ian Administrator

If it happens more when you are using windows media player or browsing a dir with movie thumbnails, it could be down to a problem with corrupt files or problematic encoding. I know that in XP this would cause a problem and explorer would try to load the whole AVI file - perhaps it's the same in Vista.

Does this problem happen mainly when you are browsing directories with movies or when using media player?

As the spyware/virus scans are clean then I'm all out of ideas on this one.

Ian, Sep 13, 2010
  7. mrsingh

mrsingh

It happens alot when im browsing my downloads folder, particularly when trying to open an mpeg audio file. I have converted the file to an mp3 and now trying to delete the mpeg file but it wont let me delete it. I have tried in safe mode and it still does not let me delete it.

I have tried using command prompt to delete it but because the file name is long with lots of brackets etc it says it cannot find the file. I have tried renaming the file but the process seems to go on forever, the same with trying to delete it.

thanks

mrsingh, Sep 13, 2010
  8. mrsingh

Ian Administrator

Ian, Sep 13, 2010
  9. mrsingh

mrsingh

ive managed to delete it using move on boot software. Going to see how it performs now and will keep you posted.

mrsingh, Sep 13, 2010
  10. mrsingh

WAW8

I noticed almost exactly the same problem with my Tablet PC and tracked it down to ESET NOD32 AV. It was periodically running a system scan (even though I had NOT asked it too), and as the first step, contacting ESET to download the latest AV update.

I removed NOD32 and the problem completely went away!

I replaced NOD32 witn Norton AV 2010 and have not experienced the same problems.

So, you might want to remove your AV if that appears to be the problem, and replace it with a different product. I've read that the free MS security essentials product is really rather good.

WAW8, Sep 13, 2010
  11. mrsingh

Ian Administrator

Yep, I've had really good experiences with MSE - so that's a thumbs up from me too :)

Ian, Sep 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question