CPU running too high constantly. Please Help

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by pokjo, Apr 1, 2007.

1. pokjo

pokjo

Hi all kinda new here just looking for some new opinions.

Specs :

AMD 64 x2 3800+ ( OC'ed to 2198.86 ) not much... the most the board will support.

mobo : ASUS m2n mx

2gig : 4x Gskill 512 PC2 6400

VC : Geforce 7600gt 256mb

Vista HomeP 64bt

Problem : CPU is running a constant 50%.

I have only had this computer for a month and at first it did not do this. then it started every couple of reboots then almost every reboot, but for a while i was able to boot to safe mode and tool around for a bit and then reboot normal and everything would be in sync. I can tell when the comp is booting up if the CPU is going to act up or not, the circle thing by the mouse during the boot up gets jerky and the intro music will be off from the visual..

i have tried turning off the OC but this has no effect. i have to have the OC or the system severely lags

right after this started if i would adjust the OC level it would have some effect ie.. make the cpu normal but now i can do what ever i want and it sits at 50%

While this is happening there are no apps running. and the standard processes but none using more than 04% of the cpu...

SIP is at 89 to 94% !!! ... so there is nothing for the damn thing to be thinking about...!!!

I am convinced it is the cpu.. but it is brand new.. hence me looking for help.

and it sucks cause when the CPU is not running at 50% the computer truly flies.

any and all help will be very appreciated.

thank any and all in advance..

Pokjo

pokjo, Apr 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. pokjo

Cheese

Hi.

I don't know it it works in Vista but Iused to have a small freeware tool called "whats running". Look for that. The CPU can't run on its own, there has to be a list of instructions for it to handle, an application.

And do a ctrl alt del, chose "start task manager", choose the"processes" tab and look to see whats using all those cpu cycles. Post yur results?

Hope this helps.

Cheese, Apr 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. pokjo

cyclic

Meant to ask if this is both cores or just one ?

Check your 'indexing' options and 'defenders' settings as well as your anti vi, something is certainly running. I have disabled indexing (control panel) because it was forever grinding away, it never stops, once it's built it's first database it updates at almost every keystroke and just to shave microseconds off a search. Defender can be very active too if left at default settings which is entirely uneeded.

Have you done a full sweep with anti virus, permenant activity can be virus activity or trojan\worm things collecting and sending info out.

Also there is a link I posted somewhere here to a comlplete list of Vista services that you can disable or set to manual depending on what version you are running, I can't remember where I did it but if you search my posts you'll find it.

Check all these and then report back to see if we've gained any advantage, if not we'll dig deeper until we find out what's doing it.

cyclic, Apr 2, 2007
  4. pokjo

pokjo

I did DL and use a program http://www.microsoft.com/techn...ssExplorer.mspx and it showed nothing.

I know that i dont have any malware, the AV is up to date and the external FW logs show no unusual activity ( I have it set to log everything )....

I know that it is not a software program using the the resources because the System Idle Process was running between 89% and 94% thus no other programs are using the CPU.

Ok so the evening after i made that post i had to reboot for an update and when it was booting back up it said that windows failed to load because of an over clock failure. so i turned off the over clocking and it booted up and i have restarted quite a few times over the past few days and not once has it happened since. and it did originally start occurring after the i started over clocking the system, my friend seems to think that it may be an issue with the BIOS not being up to date, we found an update for my set and we will be flashing on Thursday after that i will try the over clocking again and see if it remains stable

i did forget to mention that it was only using core 2 never core 1. My guess is that for what ever reason it just was not stable.

I dont seem to be having the problem any more but am determined to find out what the cause of it was, so any other thoughts would be very welcome

the Chipsets are as follows :

North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 6100

South Bridge NVIDIA nForce 430

what doesnt make sense to me is that i could go from Vista to XP (dual boot) and it would continue to act up, which would rule out an incompatible driver with Vista to be the source of the problem or any other Vista incompatabilty.

Obviously i would not be able to tell which core it was in XP but I'm sure that it would have been the same.

So a stability issue then ???? Any thoughts?

pokjo, Apr 3, 2007
  5. pokjo

cyclic

I have to ask, why are you using only one core and how are you managing to configure the system that way ? clearly this would have some bearing on how your system is working.

cyclic, Apr 4, 2007
  6. pokjo

pokjo

I did not configure my system to run like that .

what i was trying to say is that only one core #2 is running at 95%-100% constantly. and it was processing nothing. sounds confusing and if i had thought about it when it was doing it i would have taken a screen shot of the side bar tool (CPU monitor) i did not change the configuration of my system :hehe:

the computer was still using both cores just core two wouldnt stop running, and it was slowing everything down.

pokjo, Apr 4, 2007
  7. pokjo

kingofnexus

Whats odd is even with 1 core at 100% the system should run perfectly fine as it would just be like having one CPU. The problem was most likely motherboard related, sounds like it didn't like the second core. Glad to hear it works fine now.

kingofnexus, Apr 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question