CPU maxed at 100% on idle

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by BugMeNot, Nov 12, 2006.

1. BugMeNot

BugMeNot

System specs:

Athlon XP 2100 (1.7 Ghz)

1GB DDR

Radeon 9000 (Powercolor)

built in 100 LAN, AC97

Situation:

Installing Vista took about an hour. I'm seriously!

Booting into the desktop is painfully slow. Task Manager shows the CPU spiked to 100%, but on closer inspection, no process in the list of "All Users" shows what's taking up the resource.

All other desktop tasks are a SLIDE SHOW: opening windows, right clicking items, My Computer, Start menu, etc. I won't even bother commenting on the administrative popups and how long they take to appear and disappear.

My first instinct was to search for 'cpu 100% max' and found other posts scattered throughout:

* disable the SSPD service. -- made no difference for me.

* disable the DNS Client service. -- made no difference for me.

Then I tried disabling all manner of new services (whole bunch of compatibility services, ReadyBoost(sic?), etc.) - but stopping those services didn't help.

My next target is the crappy video card. The Vista Experience monitor gives that particular video card an Experience Score of 1.0 - ouch! It's without a doubt a budget, entry level card from 5 years ago. But even with a crappy video card and Aero turned off, shouldn't be pegging the CPU at max.

Booting into Safe Mode gives my system great performance - as I would expect.

Does anyone have these kind of problems or heard of any other problems with the CPU maxed out?

BugMeNot, Nov 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. BugMeNot

doghucat

Which build are you running, and in your processes there is not one running at 100% or any number running at say 40% 60% or even 10% to add up to the 100% usage. With that video card you probably have no Aero effects to take up resources.

doghucat, Nov 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. BugMeNot

BugMeNot

Here's the culprit - it appears to be taskmgr.exe itself !

Any ideas on why taskmgr would be eating the CPU cycles?

[​IMG]

BugMeNot, Nov 13, 2006
  4. BugMeNot

bpoppa69

Since getting Vista I have notice my CPU hitting 100% usage a lot more than on XP. I use a AMD 64 3200+ and never had a problem on XP.

bpoppa69, Nov 13, 2006
  5. BugMeNot

ezzagood

i have had the same prob with vista and my cpu maxing out , i found the problem with the new version on pc cillin avthat was offered with vista ,,, pc cillin sent me a fix for the problem but i have gone over to advast av ,, works fine

nic

ezzagood, Nov 27, 2006
  6. BugMeNot

Snapafun

Read this posting and add... cannot find anything that has my system hanging at 100% CPU ~ to the point that Dreamscene crashes because Explorer crashes. At this rate I'll be bald come tomorrow.

Done all the usual ~ Safe mode and turned everything off for Start Up.

Notice things change with each reboot, like the Network Icon/ Sound Icon in the Task Tray disappeared only I can put them back manually ?

Running on a Asus A6Km GeForceGo 7300 with all updated for Vista manufacturers drivers in place -

Running Vista Ultimate 6000 ~ Clean install.

Point is, where ever I look, I cannot find what to problem is, nor where to actually look for the problem.

Anyone with the same find a way yet ?

Snapafun, Mar 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question