Copying large no of files from DVD

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by elijahop, Feb 4, 2007.

1. elijahop

elijahop

OK

Installed Vista HP

All fine save one (big problem)

In short I cant copy my music and pic dvd. Have a lot of files (almost 4gb). It gets to about 60% and stops copying as per the screenshot. Sometimes it tells me I have not enough memory to complete the opration (not the case as my hard drives are 160gb with plenty of space)

[​IMG]

I have tried copying it to my Master hard drive, slave hard drive and External USB drive, all with the same result.

I think its the number of files (20,000+) as I can copy say a game dvd to my hard drive without issue (4.5gb but like 5 files). Could do this no problem yesterday on XP so its a Vista thing.

Desperate for a solution or a workaround

My specs are Vista Home Premium 32bit, 2gb Ram, 3.4ghz Pentium, 2x160gb Internal Samsung hard drives, Sony G120 DVD Rewriter.

Thankyou

Dom

elijahop, Feb 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. elijahop

Jason

That is odd 3.95GB really isnt that much. There may be an error on the burned dvd. Have you tried copying to a non vista pc from that dvd?

Jason, Feb 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. elijahop

elijahop

I know now its related to Vista's Virtual Memory and how I set up the custom page file

Havent sorted it yet, but I know the area of issue

elijahop, Feb 4, 2007
  4. elijahop

snorbaard

I've found problems like that tend to come from CDs and DVDs that haven't been written too well. Or DVD media that's on the cheap 'n nasty side. Or, (and this one was mostly the reason) Vista/XP's built-in on-the-fly writing was used. It was so bad that some files didn't even read back on the same machine I wrote it!

In order to try and get as much off the disc as possible, barring the unreadable bits, try using Robocopy. It's a Microsoft tool that's almost like the old XCOPY, but on steriods. Look on micosoft's site for Robocopy.

What you then do, is to jump to the command line and tell it to copy everything on the disc to a directory on your hard disk, but to retry, say, 10 times for each failure, waiting 10 seconds between each retry (otherwise it waits for ages), and then go on.

A good example would be:

robocopy e:\ c:\mystuff /r:10 /w:10 /s /z

/r:10 - for Retry 10 times
    /w:10 - wait 10 seconds between each try
    /s - copy subdirectories
    /z - copy in restartable mode

snorbaard, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question