copy and paste, drag and drop...

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by sevenunder29, Mar 25, 2009.

1. sevenunder29

sevenunder29

I'm new to the vista thing. I had XP for 7 years. Now I understand after on 2 years on the market place that visia is out and '7' is in (or will be). Well that explains to everyone that VISTA was not the answer (XPwasout for almost 10 years).

Anyhow...

I've had 'vista' for 3 weeks. I tried for the first time to 'drag and drop' a folder to my rewritable cd drive and received this error....

'invalid dos comand'

I called the 'idiots' at dell and got... you have a virus... we (Dell) are the only ones who can remove it (for $130) of course. Sorry, Dell, I was born at night...but not last night. Anyhow.. I've had Norton Antivirus 2009 on and running since day one.

I called my local computer expert and was told that there is no 'drag and drop' to the cd drive. You must open up the local 'burn software' that is in the computer and 'save' that way. XP wasn't like this.

I don't know...just one of the MANY quirks with vista that I have found.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

sevenunder29, Mar 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. sevenunder29

WAW8

If you have a technical problem and want help, post your question to the proper technical forum. In this case, General Technical would have been the proper one.

You can't "drag and drop" files to a CD or DVD drive unless you have that drive mounted as a read/write filesystem. That requires special software and drivers to do, and is general done via an application that comes with third-party CD/DVD burning suites (e.g., Roxio, Nero, etc).

Some of those suites mimic a filesystem by presenting a window that looks like a file manager and allows you to "drag-and-drop" files and directories into that windows. But they're not really being burned to the CD/DVD -- that is done later.

As to Vista not being "the answer" -- well, that really depends on the question, right? IF the question was, how do we (MS) get MILLIONS of people to spend money on a new OS that really gives them little more than what they get from a FREE Service Pack, then Vista WAS the answer!

WAW8, Mar 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question