Control Panel is empty?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by wikked, Oct 14, 2006.

1. wikked

wikked

I did a clean install. (RC1 - Build 5600)

At first, everything was working great, then the next day I have nothing in Control Panel.

From the Start Menu it says (empty) after attempting to load it for 20-ish seconds.

If I click the desktop shortcut, it will load the window frame with no content, then just close after 5 seconds.

In Windows Explorer I can expand the Control Panel from the sidebar, and pick from there, but just selecting Control Panel, again doesn't work.

I remember this being corrupted .cpl files back in the 3.x days, same thing maybe?

I ran System File Checker, didn't fix it (did find corrupted files though, oi vey).

Any suggestions?

wikked, Oct 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. wikked

blackhat

strange.

screens please (Prt Scr and paste in paint)

blackhat, Oct 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. wikked

wikked

(I made them 800x600 for easier viewing)

In this first pic you can see where the start menu shows Control Panel as empty.

[​IMG]

2nd pic is where I try loading the Control Panel from a shortcut.

Note the red X where the refresh button usually is.

[​IMG]

3rd pic is Windows Explorer, trying to access Control Panel.

Note the green loading bar, fully loaded, with red X.

[​IMG]

And finally, you can see where I can expand the Control Panel, and actually select something in it, I picked Fonts (obviously :p), and it correctly loaded the fonts.

[​IMG]

I'd rather not do a clean install again, but if I have no choice...:(

wikked, Oct 14, 2006
  4. wikked

jwwpua

I had a problem with Control Panel after I installed an audio driver (SigmaTel) for my Dell Inspiron E1505. I had to end task on the Control Panel whenever I tried to load it. It wouldn't display any items.

Perhaps you installed a driver that isn't working well with Vista. Try removing any recent drivers you've installed and try it again.

jwwpua, Oct 18, 2006
  5. wikked

Bistro

I think you are better off at this point uninstalling, reformatting and reinstalling rather thanattempting to hunt down corrupted files. How old is this hard drive?

BEFORE you uninstall though, make sure you still have the product key! If not, then download and install (in Vista) Belarc Advisor and run a log. Scroll down the log and you should see a product key for your version of Vista (ignore the product key for IE 7). If upon your reinstall Control Panel is still not showing, odds are that (1) you've got a bad ISO file download to begin with or (2) you have a bad hard drive or (3) it was a bad CD burn or (4) all or parts of the above.

Bistro, Oct 18, 2006
  6. wikked

danmed

Don't know if this will apply to you but i disabled a couple of services and found that my control panel was also empty.

turning them back on has brought everything back tho..

the services were something to do with the activation process... software licenssing...:Whistling:

danmed, Nov 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question