Constant Login Issue

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by xilix, Jun 19, 2006.

1. xilix

xilix

I installed Beta 2 (downloaded straight from microsoft.com) a few days ago, and since then I've had some issues. Whenever I have to manually restart the machine due to a freeze or blue screen, I can never log in, which so far has left me no choice but to re-install the OS. It just keeps telling me that my login or password is incorrect. I've even tried not setting a password at all, and I still have the problem. So far I've had to re-install three times. And while re-installing is easy, it does get annoying.

I have XP on another drive, and was wondering if there is any way I could alter some files on the Vista drive so I can get into the OS without having to re-install? I absolutely LOVE playing with the OS and testing out what works and what doesn't, but if I have to keep re-installing just because of an un-graceful shutdown, then I think I'm going to wait for a newer beta or RC to come out.

xilix, Jun 19, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. xilix

niffer022

how you booting between xp and vista?????

i dont have to log in on mine, so im not to sure on how to help you... :(

try going in through safe mode, if you can then you might be able to look and find whats going on.......

sorry i cant be of more help nathan :)

niffer022, Jun 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. xilix

xilix

I didn't have to login either, but if I have to manually reboot, bam, invalid login/password. Even when there IS no password. I wish I knew what was going on.

I'm dual booting between my old XP install and Vista. It's quite easy. Install Vista on an extra drive, when you boot up, it asks you which one you want to boot into, XP or Vista. You can do both on one drive, but I really don't recommend it unless you don't care about your data.

The first Vista install was fantastic. Nice and stable. But when I decided to buckle down and test software on it, it gave me this. I was expecting blue screens and reboots, because after all this is beta, but this took me by suprise. So far, the only way around it is to re-install Vista, which is burning time that I just don't have. I'm hoping someone knows a work-around for it.

xilix, Jun 20, 2006
  4. xilix

niffer022

i too duel boot with 2 o/s on 2 differant harddrives so i know what your taking about with the data thing...... ;)

as for your problem i cant help you out, i know how frustrated you must feel having to re-install all the time, theres a few knowledgable guys on here that might know how to help out...... they should be on later...

also i cant remember if iv said this already but have you tried it in safe mode??? does it still do it then...

nathan :)

niffer022, Jun 20, 2006
  5. xilix

xilix

Yup, tried safe mode. No dice.

xilix, Jun 20, 2006
  6. xilix

Jason

When does it freeze up and go to blue screen? Any particular moment. Its simple to dual boot xp and vista. Just install vista from within xp and there should be an option for "earlier opersating system" when it boots up.

ITs a very odd problem. Sounds like a bug, but we need more info.

Jason, Jun 20, 2006
  7. xilix

xilix

Basically so far it's blue screened/crashed 3 times. Once when I tried to install Daemon Tools (BSOD), another when I was testing a starforce protected game (GTR Racing, BSOD), and another when I was trying to change resolutions from 1024x768 to 800x600 (stock drivers, screen went black for 15 minutes, had to manually restart). It even gave me a blue screen during installation, which is odd. And every time it's shut down ungracefully like this, it just won't let me login. If I could get into the OS I would just avoid these things in the future.

System specs:

Athlon 2600+ (not overclocked)

MSI K7N2 DELTA 2

1GB Kingston PC2700 (not overclocked)

Radeon 9800 Pro (R360 core, VGA Silencer, not overclocked)

SoundBlaster Audigy

2 Western Digi 80GB Drives

NEC DVD-RW/CD-ROM

350 Watt PS

xilix, Jun 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question