Consent UI Administrative Application crashes

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by adaykin, Feb 21, 2007.

1. adaykin

adaykin

Hey, I have been having some problems with vista, I am running the business edition on 32 bit, and whenever I try and uninstall certain things I get a message saying consent UI for administrative applications has stopped working and the application has closed. I think whenever I try something that is only supposed to be an administrative capability my application crashes. I looked at the control panel and went to user accounts, and it says that I am an administrator next to my icon. I have most of the updates for vista, but there are some I can't get because I need administrative capabilities to install them.

adaykin, Feb 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. adaykin

WAW8

Couple of things you could try. First, select Run as Admin whenever you try to run an installation program (right-click on the installer program and click Run as Admin on the list of menu items).

That doesn't always work, though. So, the second option is to enable the "real" admin account and install apps from there. Rather than supplying the long list of steps you need to do that, suggest you go to the following link: (it has lots of such tips)

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/

WAW8, Feb 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. adaykin

adaykin

I tried doing a lot of the things from that site, including enter stuff from the command prompt and I can't change anything with the windows badge by it, I get the same error message as I mentioned before. I didn't see anything about how to get the real system admin account in that page I might have missed it.

adaykin, Feb 22, 2007
  4. adaykin

WAW8

OK, here's the process of getting to the "real" Admin account ...

Bring up Administrative Tools --> Computer Management

Expand System Tools

Expand Local Users and Groups

Click on the Users folder

Under the Name heading, double click the Administrator entry

This will open an Administrator Properties page

In the General tab, uncheck Account is disabled

Click Appy, OK and exist all the way back to the desktop

Reboot

Now, you will have two login icons, your account, and the real Admin account

Once inside the Admin account, set a password.

Since Admin runs with full rights, you should be able to install anything.

But, when you logoff and back on to your regular account, you might have to check "Run as Admin" for the apps you install.

WAW8, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question