Consant BlueScreens.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Roman2., Dec 24, 2007.

1. Roman2.

Roman2.

After updating vista about two weeks ago I've constantly been experiencing bluescreens like never before...Im pretty sure it had something to do with the vista monthly updates, because soon after was when the problem began, and is just not stoping whatsoever.

I've gotten bluescreens when trying to go to Youtube.com, attempting to update Wow, even surfing google news. Their just everywhere...

I tried uninstalling some updates but it didn't seem to do anything...so Im pretty sad and stuck at this moment. Does anyone know if Januarys updates may resolve the situation, maybe a program I can download to get things in order...or should I just exchange the pc for a new one? ...im still under years warranty. : /

Roman2., Dec 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Roman2.

yeke

maybe you are right it is because updates but that can be a

disordered registry problem,

a memory problem or

even a hard drive problem

forthe solution, you can use awindows vista certifiedregistry cleanerTuneUp2008 by downloadingfrom here. if it does not work i think while you are under warranty go to your service provider and ask them for solution.

best regards.

source of program: www.tune-up.com

yeke, Dec 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Roman2.

Roman2.

Tried tuneup..didn't seem to fix the problem.

Does anyone know if another windows update can fix the issue?...if the next future update doesn't fix the issue would it be smart to quickly take the pc to geeksquad or what?

Roman2., Dec 26, 2007
  4. Roman2.

kingofnexus

Do a system restore - type 'system restore' in start menu - and go back to a date before the problems started.

kingofnexus, Dec 27, 2007
  5. Roman2.

Roman2.

That's the problem... I attempted a system restore about one week ago, but for some reason the restore points would only date back to literally THAT day (20th)

I checked system restore just a few minutes ago..and there was only one restore point...and that was 12 hours ago. I remember on xp there used to be a calendar with restore points..now I can't even restore the system past today with this stupid vista....

Roman2., Dec 27, 2007
  6. Roman2.

WAW8

Without a restore point, the only option you have, short of full reinstall, is going back through the updates and removing them until before the time the problems started.

As to the restore points, Vista does store more than one, but with Vista taking up a lot more space, unless you increase the amount of space reserved for restore points, you run the risk that only one will be saved.

Also, I presume that you're not doulbe-booting with XP because booting into XP effectively wipes out ALL the Vista restore points.

WAW8, Dec 30, 2007
  7. Roman2.

hiliary

I am also having a similar problem

I recieved a brand new Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop, with Windows Vista, and I've been using it only here and there for the past three days. Since then, I have only downloaded Windows Live Messenger, I have not made any other changes to the computer, but for some reason, I very frequently get Bluescreens, that are truly starting to annoy me. They seem to come up randomly, sometimes when I go to open Internet Explorer, Other times when it tries to open a file using Adobe 8, and even once in the middle of spider solitaire. The Dell website suggests that I write down the stop error, but it moves to fast on the screen, and I can't get it down in time. No critical events occured on my computer recently, there were no failures in the reliabitity monitor, the BIOS were up to date, and Windows Vista did not find any solutions to my problem.

But, when I got to this step, I did find something,

"<SPAN class=para>
    1. <LI>Click the Start button[​IMG]. <LI>Type cmd in the search box. <LI>Right-click cmd.exe and left-click Run As Administrator. <LI>In the User Account Control window, click Continue.

<LI>In the cmd.exe window, type sfc /scannow and press the &lt;Enter&gt; key.</LI>

The System File Checker starts and checks the integrity of system files."

The results were that :

Verification is 99% complete. Windows Ressource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log windir\CBS\CBS.log. For example:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

im perplexed, how do I fix this and what went wrong? I havent even had the computer a week, and I'm already having troubles. Any input is greatly appreciated!</SPAN>

hiliary, Dec 30, 2007
  8. Roman2.

hiliary

I don't know if it's helpful or not to mention this, but I forgot to say that I ran McAFee virus scan, and did a complete scan, and nothing showed up, not even a cookie.

hiliary, Dec 30, 2007
  9. Roman2.

TimeRanger

Hiliary, Are you able to go back to a Restore point dated before your download? I would also try a couple of different types of anti-virus applications. AVAST is good (better yet, FREE), Symantec has an online application that will scan your system.

TimeRanger, Dec 31, 2007
  10. Roman2.

hiliary

I don't know how I'd go about restoring my computer back to the original settings, I'm a bit confused how if it was caused by downloading Windows Messenger Live, how it caused this problem on my laptop, but not on my computer when I downloaded it. It seems to be a fairly routiene program. I downloaded and ran Avast4 and ran the Symantec check, but nothing out of the ordinary came up. I'm stumped.

hiliary, Dec 31, 2007
  11. Roman2.

Jason

figuring out what kind of bluescreen it is, is very important. To stop your computer from restarting or flashing the screen so fast you cannot read it do the following:

right click my computer -> properties -> advanced properties (on the left) -> click on the advanced tab -> startup and recovery settings -> and uncheck "automatically restart". Now wait for it to bluescreen.

Jason, Dec 31, 2007
  12. Roman2.

hiliary

ok, so I was looking through the Reliabitity and Performance Monitor and I think I've found my Stop codes, or at least what looks like them.

It came up with:

OS Stopped Working Version 6.0.600 0x000000c5(0xacbaa8d8,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x81ce7868)

(Another one, later on the same day) OS Stopped Working 0x000000c5(0xcca448d8,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x81ce88d9)

I've also noticed, again, I don't know if this is any help, but when exploring the Reliabitity and Performance Monitor, I noticed that when I clicked on Software (Un)installls, 26/12/2007-30/12/2007 and I'd say half of the programs listed, under Activity Status, were said to have failed, which strikes me as odd.I've also noticed,downloading anything, like downloading Avast4, took an hour, when it would take me a maximum of 10 minutes on my3 year old Xp, and this is a brand new computer!WhenI log on too, the screen goes blackandkind of flashes 5 or 6 times beforethe desktop is fully loaded.I don't know what to do, somany problems from a 3 day old computer. I'm trying to give as much info as possible, hopefully making your part a little easier. Here are the specs on my computer :

Processor: Intel(R) Penitum(R) Dual cpu T2310 @ 1.46GHz

Memory: 2038(MB)

System Type: 32-Bit Operating System

Thanks for the help!

hiliary, Dec 31, 2007
  13. Roman2.

Jason

The screen flashes are probably a good sign that its your video driver. Check your device manager or the info that came w/ your pc to see what kind of video card you have and check the manufacturers websites for updated Vista drivers. This was a big problem in beta not so much anymore now though since windows update typically has fairly good drivers.

I researched the 0x000000c5 stop code and it is indeed a driver issue. I suggest you start w/ your video card driver and work out from there checking manufacturer websites or disabling hardware until the blue screen stops coming.

Jason, Dec 31, 2007
  14. Roman2.

hiliary

thanks for your help, I'm looking at my driver information now, so hopefully that will help. My computer skills are far from excellent, so I have a question or two, would the corrupt files found in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log be explained by the driver issue? If not, do you know what this means and what I would do to fix it? I want my computer to stay in tiptop shape for as long as possible, so I really want to be through with fixing the problem.

And would all the failures that I came accross in the Reliabitity and Performance Monitor have to do with the driver problem (that im now looking for) ?

So a driver problem could explain why my computer randomly gives me the BSOD? thanks!

hiliary, Dec 31, 2007
  15. Roman2.

Jason

I would do a Disk Cleanup and Chkdsk error checking, and see if you have any
    further problems. If not, I wouldn't worry about SFC.

Jason, Dec 31, 2007
  16. Roman2.

hiliary

how would I do those? i'm really not good with computers. thanks

hiliary, Jan 1, 2008
  17. Roman2.

TimeRanger

Hiliary,

My Computer &gt;&gt;&gt; Right-Click on "C" &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Properties. Under "General", choose Disk Cleanup. After that is done, Choose "TOOLS" at the top of the Properties window.

TimeRanger, Jan 1, 2008
  18. Roman2.

mikelevan

i had a similar problem when i upgraded to windows vista ms spent many many hours working with me to fix the problem "norton uninstall tool" "hp print driver" "rom bios upgrade" pretty sure it was the norton removal tool that we used last to fix the prob im sure since your computer is new ms will help i was very impressed with the dedication and time they had for my issues

mikelevan, Jan 13, 2008
  19. Roman2.

mikelevan

p.s. mcafee and norton are the same thing i think

mikelevan, Jan 13, 2008
  20. Roman2.

hiliary

ok thanks! i'll have to get incontact with them today!

dell walked through me as i had to reinstall vista from scratch, and then i ran the chdsk, and no corrupt files came up, but as soon as i installed the 40 something windows vista updates, thats when i did it again, and im finding corrupt files.

hiliary, Jan 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question