connecting a non vista printer over the network how-to

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by dennis-96gt, Dec 15, 2008.

1. dennis-96gt

dennis-96gt

i just figured out what to do if your printer is connected to a xp pc and your trying to connect your vista system to it via the network.

you will need the printer instal disk for this

1. plug the printer via usb cord into the vista machine your trying to connect

2. let vista instal the printer. it will ask for the disk to do this

3. in the printer instal do the advanced setup and uncheck everything you dont want to instal (all you really need is the drivers instaled)

4. when thats done reboot the vista machine

5. print test page to make sure printer was instaled correctly

6. unlpug the printer and plug it back into the pc

7. make sure you have the printer set up to share on the network on the xp machine

8. on the vista machine to go start>control panel>printers>add printer>add a network, wireless, or bluetooth printer

9. when it finds the printer you want to connect to click it and click next.

10. make the network printer your default printer

vista should now properly instal the network printer and you can print a test page to make sure.

dennis-96gt, Dec 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. dennis-96gt

WAW8

Looks like what is happening here is that, when you install the printer in Vista, it saves the drivers in its driver cache. Then, when you add the same printer later, it already has the drivers and reuses them.

When you tried to add the printer across the network, did it not see the printer? Or did it see the printer but just not download and install the drivers?

WAW8, Dec 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. dennis-96gt

dennis-96gt

thats exactly what happend have to have the vista driver on the machine trying to connect. it saw the printer just fine but sense the pc is xp the driver it tried to pull off of it was not compatiable.

i guess i could have just said

1. instal printer driver on vista machine then try connecting again

great wasted my time for nothing thanks for helping me realize that lol

dennis-96gt, Dec 18, 2008
  4. dennis-96gt

WAW8

Sorry ... wasn't criticizing what you did. Only interested in why it didn't work the first time. At least, you were able to figure out a way to get it to work.

WAW8, Dec 19, 2008
  5. dennis-96gt

dennis-96gt

oh the only reason it didnt work the first time was becuase the printer is on the xp machine. so when it was instaled it only instaled the xp drivers which are not vista comaptiable. hence instaling the vista driver on the vista machine makes it all happy

dennis-96gt, Dec 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question