Connected to network but only locally!

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by || Mod Zed ||, May 10, 2009.

1. || Mod Zed ||

|| Mod Zed ||

The story

I have had my laptop for about a year or so and have been connectly wirelessly to my network without any problems.

So I was on my laptop, connected to my wireless home network as usual. No problems. I turned my laptop off and all was well. Later on, I decided to go back on my laptop. I fire it up, but it gets stuck at the very initial Microsoft Windows loading screen. I held down the power button to shut it down straight away.

Once I turned it back on, my laptop realised that something had gone wrong and started to do a system restore.

After the system restore I have been unable to connect to my wireless network!! I have absolutely no idea why this is, because, other than the system restore, I haven't touched anything. I haven't updated, downloaded or changed anything whatsoever.

The current situation

When I turn on my laptop, I can sometimes connect to my home network but I only ever get a local connection, which is really annoying. I can connect locally but not properly (as in actually get an internet connection). Please note that my signal strength is always full.

I have tried turning the router on and off etc but I know it isn't my router because my home computer, my dads computer and my brothers laptop can all connect to the network without any problems.

The next suggestion by Vista was to reset the network adapter settings (LAN and IP), I tried it and nothing happened. I have tried all of the suggestions that Vista has thrown at me, yet to no avail!!

Some key points

I am on Vista (32 bit).

My wireless network has WPA2 and AES settings.

I use a PSK which I have correctly put on my laptop, so it connects to the network.

I also have MAC filtering enabled (my laptop MAC address has been added to the list).

I have an HP G6000 laptop.

The lowdown

I can only connect to my wireless network locally, why is this? How can I connect to it properly? I have full signal strength.

I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with my network setup because I haven't actually changed it at all, I believe the laptop has mucked up somehow.

I have tried to ping various things and i got Ping Transmit Error Code 1231. When I ping 127.0.0.1 I get the message:

General failure.

General failure.

General failure.

General failure.

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

I have no idea what is wrong, but I'm guessing its either: network adapter, some sort of driver, or TCP/IP needs repair.

Anyone help would be greatly appreciated. If you could also explain anything in very simplistic terms that would be fantastic.

|| Mod Zed ||, May 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. || Mod Zed ||

|| Mod Zed ||

Don't worry about it now, I have fixed it. I forgot that I had Norton, so I checked out the pinned topic and it sorted me out. Thanks anyway!

|| Mod Zed ||, May 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. || Mod Zed ||

makimm

Similar problem

I lost power, now my Vista desktop can only connect locally (does not actually identify) and no internet. My laptop works fine as does other WIFI items in the house.
    I was able to ping the address in the earlier thread (127.0.0.1) with success, but cannot ping to my default gateway address. Error is "transmit failed, error code 1231". Any suggestions?

makimm, Apr 4, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question