"Configuring updates" endless reboots question

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by divas, Nov 16, 2010.

1. divas

divas

Hello
    I have just - finally!.. - recovered from the "configuring updates part 3 of 3 0%" endless loop of reboots. Checking for help, I saw that I have to install asap the updates 937287 and 949939 from MS. However, when I tried to install them, I got the message "update does not apply to your system".
    I have Vista Business, with automatic updates turned on. How can I prevent this from happening again?

Many thanks for any advice

Divas

divas, Nov 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. divas

WAW8

First thing I would do is turn off automatic updates. There have been too many time when folks' machines have been "bricked" by automatic updates. I would set it to Notify only and let YOU decide when to download and install them.

That will give you time to do some Google searches about the specific updates before you install them.

Second thing I would do is invest in a backup/recovery solution. Huge external hard drives are available dirt cheap these days, and 10 minutes of backup can save your HOURS of repair when an update bricks your machine.

Also, in terms of software, I would strongly recommend Macrium Reflect. I used Acronis True Image for years, but when it trashed an XP machine, I switched over to using MR as a trial -- and haven't gone back. The free version does everything you need for basic image backup/recovery, including allowing you to burn a recovery CD, and the paid version comes with the ability to burn a WinPE CD (complete with drivers) and to install the recovery option on your hard drive -- so you can boot into it and restore your Windows install without needing a boot CD.

WAW8, Nov 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question