Computers Don't show in Network

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by b_nikz, Sep 26, 2012.

1. b_nikz

b_nikz

Ok i seem to have a wierd problem...or am probably not doing something right.

I have a desktop computer running Windows XP Proffessional SP2 which is connected to a LAN Switch. Now i have a Lan cable from the same switch connected to a wireless access point to which i connect my Laptop running Windows Vista Home Home Premium SP2.

I have set up the Network and workgroup on both the Computers correctly because i can connect to the Desktop(XP) from my laptop(Vista) via the IP address of the Desktop(XP) but my Laptop(Vista) does not recognise the Name of the desktop in the Network of Vista. If i do connect via the IP address it shows the same under Network in the left pane.

Can anyone tell me what am doing wrong? or how to get this sorted?

b_nikz, Sep 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. b_nikz

ClarkTNTien

Hmmmmmmmm! That sounds unusual. I have a round cable coming out of my wall that plugs into a modem. Then, from the modem a LAN computer cable comes out to connect to my router (i.e. wifi). From there, I can either wire it to a computer directly through another LAN computer cable, OR use wifi to connect.

The only IP address that I would need to mess with is the the main computer's. For instance, it would be replicated onto the router so that my internet service provider verifies that it is connecting to the right equipment.

ClarkTNTien, Sep 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. b_nikz

ClarkTNTien

By the way... on the bottom right of the screen in Microsoft Windows Vista, there should be a section that allows you to connect to a wireless network. For instance, you access point might be what I am referring to. Just click on the one icon there, and it should come up with the option to connect to a wireless network. Click on that and it should lists all the ones available. Your network should be listed. I am not sure that an "Access Point" is the same thing as a "Wifi from a router". It should be the same thing. Well, good luck!!:)

ClarkTNTien, Sep 27, 2012
  4. b_nikz

b_nikz

Noi don't have any issues connecting WiFi.. I can connect to everything just fine...The thing there's actually no hindrance to any work i have to do because i can connect to the desktop usng the IP address and access files. The weird thing is that the desktop does not show in my Network. Only my laptop and my router does but no desktop even if i can connect via IP

b_nikz, Sep 28, 2012
  5. b_nikz

ClarkTNTien

Maybe in your Network setting, you can make it public or private... discoverable - on or off... etc?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    ClarkTNTien, Sep 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question