Computer/Windows/Vista auto-connects to Web without asking

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Dickensghost, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Dickensghost

Dickensghost

Hi Y'all. Here's one that HP customer service couldn't help me with 3 times apart from the standard answer when all else fails" format. Bull! I've go too much transfered data from my old computer and have learned Vista very well by now, thank you very much.

PROBLEM: the computer connects to the Internet on its own while is sleep or during startup or when in screen saver! It sometimes says connected, sometimes, it just connects than hangs up.

I checked every program I have and unchecked any that were set to 'auto-check' for updates, so rule that out. Is there anybody who has had this problem, or anyone with an answer from me? A pound of flesh can be offered from, ah, maybe Bill Gates for the correct answer, since HP hasn't a clue apart from telling me the problem, "HAS TO BE WINDOWS RELATED"

BTW: after deep scans for virses and Malware 4 or 5 times with none found; rule that out too.

Thanks to all.

Dickensghost:w00t:

Dickensghost, Feb 12, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Dickensghost

WAW8

Sorry, don't know why this is happening, but one way to discovery why would be to disable all the autoloading programs in Startup and let the machine run without them. If it doesn't autoconnect anymore, you know it's something being loaded at startup.

I found that something as innocuous as the logitech SW or the Java runtime would autocheck for updates.

WAW8, Feb 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question