Computer hangs. Can I get back to normal operation?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by jeh, Apr 22, 2014.

1. jeh

jeh

I've been handed an Acer laptop running Vista (fully updated as far as I can tell, I know that Vista was reinstalled to it about two years ago) to see if I can get it to work properly again.

The owner tells me that about ten days ago it started running very slowly in Normal mode. Safe Mode working is okay so I did a system restore to 27 March (the owner assures me that was running okay well after that date). The System Restore didn't help.

Today I've confirmed that it will run, apparently normally, in Safe Mode, and also after a Clean Boot. A normal mode boot produces the expected desktop, however after clicking on any icon the computer just hangs, with the screen fading to a "greyed out" state. It will then sometimes accept a Shut Down command, more often it has to be forcibly powered down.

The HDD is partitioned, with all user data on drive D (system on drive C) The System Log reports several bad blocks, all detected between 27 and 31 Jan. I'd like to get the user data off but can't use an external drive in Safe Mode or after a Clean boot - the drivers just aren't there.

I'm at my experience limit here. Any suggestions about how to regain control, even if only for a limited period, would be very welcome.

TIA

John

jeh, Apr 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. jeh

Ztruker

If it runs well via a Clean boot then something is starting in normal boot that is causing the problem.

Use msconfig to start disabling Startup programs a few at a time until you find the culprit. If it's not under the Startup tab, use the Services tan. Check the Hide all Microsoft services box then start disabling them a few at a time until you find the cause.

Ztruker, Apr 26, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. jeh

jeh

Thanks Ztruker. The computer came good part-way through this process. I was able to regain control and recover all data. In the process I discovered that the bad data blocks reported by the System Log all referred to an external drive the owner used for back-up. I'm a little more knowledgeable and the owner is much happier. Thanks again. John

jeh, Apr 27, 2014
  4. jeh

Ztruker

Your welcome John, glad you were successful.

Ztruker, Apr 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question