Computer does nothing

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by SOmeone, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SOmeone

SOmeone

I have an HP DV9XXX laptop. It came pre-installed with Vista Home. I created back up disks from the recovery drive. I went to reinstall Vista Home using the Recovery disks and on disk 3 of 3 it would not read. I hit cancel and now I get the HP logo screen and then after I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor. Now it will not get past the black screen no matter what. I've put in a the recovery disks, a full copy of Vista disk and a full copy of XP pro, I hear the disks spinning but nothing happens. I can get into the BIOS menu and I ensured the boot order is CD/DVD drive first. I really need some assistance with this. Please give me any suggestions you might have.

Thanks

SOmeone, Aug 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. SOmeone

WAW8

Sounds like there's a problem with the third recovery disk -- something we can't fix.

You will need to contact HP to see if they will get you a disk.

WAW8, Aug 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. SOmeone

SOmeone

Well I booted into the BIOS and ran a diagnostics and found that something was wrong with the Hard drive I got error # "10008 - Replace Hard Disk"

I bought a new HDD and replaced the old one. However nothing happens after the HP Logo screen even if a OS Install CD is in the drive. Could the CD drive be the issue?

SOmeone, Aug 15, 2009
  4. SOmeone

WAW8

Well, any hardware will fail eventually, especially hard drives and CD/DVD drives. Since the drive read the first two CDs, though, the drive obviously works to some degree.

Couple of things you could try:

1) Clean the laser lens on the DC drive. These all get dirty over time. You can buy CD/DVD lens cleaner kits which are basically disk media with small plasticc fibres attached that brush the lens clean as they rotate. Could be that if your drive is old and/or has seen a lot of use, that will help.

2) Possible heat-related alignment problem. Have an old laptop that, once it gets hot, can't read CDs anymore. Seems the CD compartment gets so hot that either the last can't track properly or the CD expands so much in the heat that it can't track. Either way, I can only read CDs when the laptop is first turned on. If yours gets real hot, that could be a problem as well.

WAW8, Aug 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question