Computer can't find wireless network.

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by sethdb1, May 28, 2008.

1. sethdb1

sethdb1

Okay. So, I'm a complete fool.

I bought a dell laptop yesterday and everything worked fine (I could connect to the wireless network in my house and such), and then I thought "oh, I should go to a website to see how to make Vista faster", so I did, but since I know nothing I went a bit too far and then the system really didnt work at all. Hah! So I used the Vista software that came with the computer to wipe the slate clean and just start over (I didnt have anything saved on the computer so it didnt matter)

At any rate, the computer works fine now EXCEPT it cant find the wireless network in my house.

When I click "Connect To A Network", it says "Windows Cannot Find Any Networks".
    When I click "Diagnose why Windows can't find any networks" it says "This Computer does not have a wirless network adapter installed and configured"
    So I go to device manager where it says to locate the device under "network adapters' but there is nothing that says 'network adapters'

Note- 3 things that say Base System Device as well as Ethernet Controller and Network Controller have yellow !'s next to them. So if I right click on them and say update driver software, it says driver software cannot be found.
    Ive also tried using the "Drivers and Utilities" CD that came with the computer, when I go to download anything and hit 'Extract" a black box pops up for about .005 seconds and then nothing happens

Any help would be much appreciated, it doesnt matter if I have to do things that will erase files on the computer or whatever, it wont matter because there is nothing on it...I just want my computer to be the way it was when I got it!

sethdb1, May 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. sethdb1

WAW8

I have no idea what "Vista software came with your computer" so, it's really hard to provide specific advice.

I'm presuming that Vista was pre-installed on the Dell, right?

Please describe the Vista software in more detail, as, is it an MS DVD? OR is it branded with the Dell logo? What does it say on the disk?

Did you reinstall Vista from scratch? OR did you simply do a recovery?

IF it's an MS DVD, then it's doubtful that it contains the drivers needed for the Dell box -- but you did say that you have a separate drivers CD. Is this CD a Dell brand? Does it indicate that the drivers are for Vista?

Usually, an OEM-provided driver CD is used by inserting it, at which it auto loads, puts up a menu, and allows you to select the drivers to install. Is this what you did? Or did you just insert the CD and try to install the drivers using Device Manager?

Some details would help ...

WAW8, May 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question