Complex setup, migration question

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by techgeek3, Nov 3, 2007.

1. techgeek3

techgeek3

Hello all.

I have a less than simple couple questions.

Background

Dual boot PC (XP and Vista)

No longer need XP as I am happy with Vista.

XP is installed to a raid array of 2 80Gb SATA HD

Vista is installed to an IDE HD

1) What I want to do

Reinstall Vista to the raid array

Get rid of the boot loader option that asks XP or Vista at start up

Want a clean install of Vista on the raid when done, not really interested in executing an upgrade

2) Concerns

I have several media licenses (wma's from Walmart Music Store) on Vista on the IDE drive.

Questions for the group :unsure:

Could you tell me the best way to do #1

Can the windows easy transfer keep the media licenses or do I have to go through Wal-Mart to get the licenses reactivated? Or are there other options for the licensing of the WMAs.

THANKS!!!!!!!!

:cool:

techgeek3, Nov 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. techgeek3

techgeek3

OK, so I think I have the reinstall of vista covered. I will use the vista clean install, then vista upgrade process described here.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

Then after I have Vista up and running, this leaves me with 2 questions.

1 Still don't know how to migrate the WMA licensing. Anyone?

2 Will this process leave my boot loader intact?

Thanks!

techgeek3, Nov 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. techgeek3

cyclic

Download hereVistabootpro will allow you to remove XP from the boot loader which will stop the boot menu from appearing as Vista has to now be default then use then using the system bootloader tab select to install Vista bootloader (also uninstalls legacy boot files)you can also select to put it on all drives which i not a bad idea since you can boot to any drive and still end up in Vista, sometimes drive letters are not what the seem with Vista, if it says it's on drive D, then you dont want to write the files there since Vista always considers itself to be on C: so choosing 'all drives' is why the option was added,nowyou can only boot to Vista, then in virtual disk manager make Vista the active partition then after you reboot and change your HD boot order to ensure it's working just delete the XP files or format or whatever. If for some reason booting fails, boot to your Vista DVD and select the repair option which will correct anything wrong with the boot files.Activation and all programs etc; will remain totally unaffected.

Then make an image of the Vista drive and recover the image to the RAID drives personally I use Acronis True Image as thus far (about 4 years and hundreds of images)I find it fast and flawless, you should be able to download a 14 day fully working trial from Acronis which will do you, obviously there are many other imaging tools and you can get many a good tried and tested tool from www.majorgeeks.com so you can do all you want to in your list, safely, with the minimum fuss and what's more entirely free, gratis and for nowt.

If you wish to follow this suggestion and have any questions I am more than happy to assist if required.

cyclic, Nov 4, 2007
  4. techgeek3

WAW8

Second the comment about Acronis True Image (ATI). I've used several different imaging SW packages (Vista, Acronis, Paragon, Symantec) and have found ATI to generally be the best. Be sure to get the latest version (v11, build 8053) when you download the trial. There were some problems in v10, and in the earlier V11 builds with having to use Vista DVD recovery to "fix" restored Vista installations, but that's supposed to have been fixed now.

WAW8, Nov 12, 2007
  5. techgeek3

Jason

Cyclic nailed it, your best bet is to do an image to preserve those licenses.

Jason, Nov 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question