compatability problems

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by lolly1475, Mar 24, 2007.

1. lolly1475

lolly1475

I recently bought a new ACER laptop with Vista loaded in it. i can not seem to run certain programs on disksor videos' that i can run on my home pc with XP. it tells me the the media player can't read the format it was downloaded in. It won't run any of my power point presentation cd's. any idea what i can do? also i bought the 2007 norton anti virus and downloaded the vista update for it and the anti virus still won't install.

lolly1475, Mar 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. lolly1475

WAW8

As to Media Player, without more details, can guess at a couple of possibilities:

1) DRM -- WMP 11 enforces DRM more rigorously than its predecessors. So, depending on what and where you downloaded stuff, it may be refusing to open it due to DRM restrictions.

2) codecs -- WMP 11 installs a basic set of codecs. If WMP simply doesn't recognize the file format, try going to majorgeeks.com, typing codec in the search box, and downloading the Vista Codecs or K-Lite Codec Packs.

As to NAV, did your PC come with an older version of NAV already installed? If so, you may have to uninstall the older version before installing the newer one. If not, what is the error you're getting when trying to install NAV 2007?

WAW8, Mar 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question