Comcast Broadband Unable To Connect to VISTA

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by watchingowl, Nov 16, 2008.

1. watchingowl

watchingowl

I have a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC with preenstalled Windows Vista. I recently moved to Maryland, from California and thus wanted to use my HP laptop for home instead of work. I called up comcast and they came right out. They tried to install the cable but I all that shows up is "Unidtenified Network" "Local Only". The Comcast worker was here 3 hours trying to figure out what was wrong with this. My wife came home with her lap top woth his a Dell Inspirion 2650 with XP. We conntected the cable internet to her computer and it worked just fine. But when we tried the newer laptop with XP it only showes Broadband PPoe and wants a user name and password. Comcast said all that should happen is we plug in the ethernet and it auto connect but Vista just wont allow this. The comcast gentleman explained it should not be Broadband PpoE but just Broadband connect.

So I called HP and after two hours on the phone friday with them, they said there was nothing they could do and it was a Vista issue. They reported they have received hundreds of complaints from people using broadband and unable to connect but there is nothing they can do. So I called back comcast and they sent another guy out to take a look. This new guy was out here for 3 hours himself trying everything he could and he just could not connect. He said that Comcast will stop offering support for Vista computer users because of the problems Vista is having.

So as a last resort I came to this site and tried uninstalling Norton to see if that worked.... nope. So I am stuck using an older laptop with Xp while my newer, faster computer sits collecting dust. I need the internet at home for work while my wife needs to take her own laptop back with her to her work.

Please keep in mind I am not all that computer savy. All I want to know if how do I turn off the ppoe junk so I can just connect to broadband? When I put the ethernet cord into the computer, it says I have a local only connection to an unidentified network. Both Comcast and HP have stated this is a Vista issue. I would call Microsoft but I think 59.00 for email or phone or chat support is absolutely ridiculous. PLEASE HELP! I did check other topics and I noticed a lot of people here are having the same problem.

watchingowl, Nov 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. watchingowl

WAW8

Can't do much without some additional details.

Open an elevated command prompt and enter the following:

ipconfig /all

Report back what it shows.

From the same elevated command prompt, enter the following:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

After that, close the command window and reboot.

Do the ipconfig command again and see if there is any difference.

Are you using a router, or are you plugging the comcast cable directly into the back of the PC?

Note: To do an elevated command prompt, do the following:

1) Click the start button

2) type "cmd" (without the quotes) -- but don't press any other keys

3) Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter (all at the same time)

4) When prompted for permission, click OK

5) When the command window opens, it should say "Administrator" in the upper left window border

WAW8, Nov 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. watchingowl

watchingowl

everything reads media disconnect. I did the coding below but it still read media disconnect. I use a router so an ethernet cord goes from my computer to my router and the router connects to the cable.

watchingowl, Nov 19, 2008
  4. watchingowl

WAW8

WAW8, Nov 19, 2008
  5. watchingowl

WAW8

Updates:

1) it's not a general Comcast vs.Vista problem because I'm doing this connected to Comcast on my Vista Business laptop.

2) You should NOT be able to plug any PC into your Comcast cable and get internet access. From my testing, it appears that Comcast uses Mac address filtering to prevent unauthorized access to their network. Why a tech would tell you otherwise is a mystery.

3) To get Comcast working, you need to provide them the Mac address of your primary PC. Once they have that configured, plug their cable into your primary PC and confirm you have internet access using "ipconfig /all"

4) Once that works, connect their cable to your router and set it to do Mac address cloning from your primary PC. Then, connect a cable from the router to your PC. You should have network access now.

I did all of these with Comcast and confirmed these work.

WAW8, Nov 27, 2008
  6. watchingowl

watchingowl

Besides sending you in pm what I get when I plug in my ethernet cable, when I try and look up my mac address under the cmd feature Under wireless LAN Adapter Wireless NEtwork Connection, is shows the physical address (i.e. Mac address for that) but under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection for physical address is shows 00-00-00-00-00-00.

I can access wireless from any wireless hotspot just fine on the computer but its the ethernet still giving me problems. Before I call comcast back again, how do I get a MAC address for the Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection? If a address is needed I dont know why I was able to connect to ATT broadband in california with no problem by using their ethernet cable and my wife can connect to her works broadband cable with no problem but comcast is just frustrating. Any way to get a physical address (mac address) since all it has listed are 00's?

watchingowl, Jan 2, 2009
  7. watchingowl

WAW8

First off, don't PM me for support -- I don't respond to PM requests for support.

Second, I'm NOT a Comcast expert, so I can't tell you about Comcast policies regarding account access rules, I can only report on my own experiences and what I discovered testing a Comcast link at a friend's house.

It's my belief that Comcast does Mac Address validation for granting access. If they are like other carriers, they allow ONE and only ONE Mac address. That is generally acquired when the tech first installs your account using your PC, in that, they acquire the Mac address of the NIC (wired) in the PC and use that.

Later, after they've left, you plug their cable into your router and use the "Clone Mac Address" feature to replace the original router Mac address with the one from your PC. This way, when the carrier gets an access request and they interrogate the device for an address, the reply they get (from your router) is the address their tech originally registered for your account.

This means that ALL future access must go through that router, regardless of whether it's wired or wireless.

If you're using a second PC, and attempting to connect it via wireless, it still must have a Wireless Access Point (WAP) on your wired network; it can not talk directly to the Internet. In the case of some routers (my current one, for example), the WAP is built into the router itself.

Thus, you only provide Comcast with ONE Mac address -- the one you clone into your router.

WAW8, Jan 3, 2009
  8. watchingowl

john5578

Actually, I am quite familiar with Comcast internet, and they don't care what PC you use. As long as your Local Area Connection is set to automatically obtain an IP address and the nic card is in good working order, you'll pull an IP address and be able to get online. I can say that if you want to switch that ethernet cable to another PC, you have to reset the modem after you connect the other PC, so the modem will give out another IP address. I have a Vista machine, a mac and an XP machine in the house (that I didn't have when I originally got Comcast internet), and they are on a router. I can plug any one of those machines direct to the modem and get a connection. I also do not have use any clone mac feature on the router.

If you're getting "Local Only" in vista, see what your IP address is. If it's a 169.XXX.XXX.XXX, then you need to reset the modem, turn off a mis-configured firewall, or your Local Area Connection settings are wrong.

john5578, Mar 14, 2009
  9. watchingowl

mentlblok

Quick question (I know ... no such thing) My Local Area Connection IS set to automaticlally obtain an IP address, AND every time the Modem or PC is reset, it continues to obtain ONLY the 169.XXX.XXX.XXX IP address. It will NOT change. Comcast tech's that come to my house say it's my PC. Comcast tech's on the phone say it is not. I have even completely restored my PC to a week ago, and it will STILL not connect. I just moved out of a house that had Comcast internet via a wireless router, and I had NO problem connecting to Comcast THEN.

I am at my wits end here. I have a second guy coming out on Saturday to "fix" my connection. Any help or info I can get would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh! And I have Window's Vista on an HP laptop. Like I said, no problem connecting to the Comcast internet at the house I just moved from.

Thanks.

mentlblok, Jun 17, 2009
  10. watchingowl

WAW8

Looks like I'm the only one left here replying ... and if you've read the history on this (which I HOPE you have), you'll see that there's a difference of opinion regarding whether or not ComCast needs to register your equipment MAC address to grant you access.

My experience is that you DO because, in the case of my friend, he was not able to get an IP address from his ComCast service until the tech registered the MAC address of his PC. Once he did that, we using the MAC address cloning feature of his router and he's been OK since.

The other person, though, said all of this is not needed -- which is true if you connect any other machine through a "registerd" router after the initial setup.

Looks like ComCast may do customer configuration differently in different areas of the country.

WAW8, Jun 18, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question