Combining Hard Drives with Vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by whitman82, Mar 12, 2007.

1. whitman82

whitman82

I just purchased a dell inspiron 1501 with vista. In my computer, it has a 45.8gb partitition which is were vista is installed and a 9.99gb partition that just has back up files on it. My 45.8gb partition is filling up fast and i don't really need those back up files since i have them on disc. Therefore, i was wondering if there is any way for me to combine the two partitions and make them one hard drive instead.

whitman82, Mar 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. whitman82

Jason

1. Advertisements

3. whitman82

whitman82

This doesn't let me combine my drives though, it only lets me break them up into smaller partitions. How do I combine my hard drives?

whitman82, Mar 13, 2007
  4. whitman82

VistaRocks

If you use Vista's built in feature you should be able to format that one section then add it to the VISTA side, then you would have all one drive.

VistaRocks, Mar 13, 2007
  5. whitman82

whitman82

Can you give me the actual process? Once i format it, it just disappears from my computer. Also, there is another partition that is 47mb big and contains EISA configuration. Is this partition important or an i get rid of that too?

whitman82, Mar 13, 2007
  6. whitman82

Jason

You can use the tool which is explained in the link to join partitions as well, as stated above.

Although I'm not sure if it allows you to change the partition size in which Vista was installed on..I'm thinking no..

Once you delete the other partition you will have unallocated space which can be combined to the existing partition.

Be sure to back up any valuable information, because there is a slight chance that data can be lost when dealing with partitions.<BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Click on the Start menu

2) Right click on Computer and click on Manage</BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE>

[​IMG]</BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE>

3) You may get a User Account Control dialog here; just click Continue

4) In the left pane, open up the Storage category and click on Disk Management</BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE>

[​IMG]</BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE>

5) Here, you will find your partitions for your disks. Right click on the partition you’d like to modify.</BLOCKQUOTE>

[​IMG]<BLOCKQUOTE>

6) Click on Extend Volume or Shrink Volume to extend or shrink the selected partition.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason, Mar 13, 2007
  7. whitman82

WAW8

Not owning a Dell, I'm guessing, but having owned machines by HP, the small partition containing "backup files" could have been the partition that can be used to create the recovery CD/DVD used to rebuild your system. If that's true and you messed with it, you may have lost all chance of rebuilding your system as delivered.

As to combining partitions, Acronis just released the Vista-compatible version of their Disk Director suite. It allows for the creation of a Recovery CD that boots outside of Windows. I've used that to do numerous partition changes. I would trust it before trusting the new MS features.

WAW8, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question