Code 80073712

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by prc292, Aug 28, 2007.

1. prc292

prc292

anyone ever heard of this error with windows update. this just started on my computer and cant figure out why or how. i cannot search for updates all of a sudden.

Code 80073712

prc292, Aug 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. prc292

AmericanNightmare

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712 If that does not work try the steps below.

1. Click the Start icon and in the search field type "winsxs".
    2. Double click this folder and scroll down to the file "pending.xml".
    3. Right click it and select "Properties".
    4. Under the "Security" tab, select "Advanced"
    5. Highlight your User Account name from the list and click "Edit..."
    6. Repeat 5.
    7. Check the box marked "Full control". Then "OK" (x4).
    8. You can now delete the file "pending.xml". Make a back up copy if
    you wish and paste it somewhere else just in case!
    9. Restart your PC (on boot up it should no longer say "Configuring
    Updates..." any more).
    10. Download the 'Windows Update Installer'
    (http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/...).
    Once downloaded, you may want to move it from your download folder to
    somewhere else.Such aswhere the Windows Update File (wuapp.exe)
    was to start with (C:\Windows\System32). Double click it
    to install.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. prc292

prc292

I tried both of these solutions was unable to solve the problem. When i tried the microsoft support solution to delete a registry key, i get and error that the system could not find the key

the other solution was to delete the pending.xml file. well i cannot seem to gain permission to delete the file. follow the steps and cannot check the box for full control. kinda makes me mad that i dont have permission to do something to my computer. if im not the adminstrator, (and i should be becuase it's my computer and im the only account on it) than who is?

prc292, Aug 29, 2007
  4. prc292

kingofnexus

There is usually a hidden administrator account that you can access. Ive used it before but i cant remember how you can get into it :ermm:

Try disabling UAC and see if it lets you modify the setting then.

kingofnexus, Aug 29, 2007
  5. prc292

prc292

i turned off UAC and now i can check full control. it's telling me that access is denied and i do not have permission to change settings for the folder. am i not the administrator of this computer. do i have to log in a certain way. like "su" in linux.

prc292, Aug 29, 2007
  6. prc292

AmericanNightmare

Sorry, if your notthe admin. i won't be able to tell you how to get around that. Get whoever is the admin. to run through the fixes.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 29, 2007
  7. prc292

prc292

i am the admin. it's my laptop. i am the only user of this computer. yet for some reason i dont have permission to delete a file.

prc292, Aug 29, 2007
  8. prc292

Jasmine

Can someone help me? I've tried both those solutions andI can't find the file pending.xml. When I try the link to download the update, I still get an error with the same code. When i tried the microsoft support solution to delete a registry key, i get and error that the system could not find the key too! What should I do?

Jasmine, Oct 10, 2007
  9. prc292

WAW8

This is a common misconception carried over from XP. Under XP, when you installed it, or created a single user account, you were automatically the Administrator. Under Vista, this is no longer true. When you create the account, Vista actually creates two accounts -- one for you, and one for the REAL Admin -- not you. When you login after that, you're logging into a general user account, NOT the REAL Admin account. You can go ahead and turn off UAC, but you're still logging into the general user account.

To login as the REAL Admin account, you have to unhide it first. You do that by opening Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Local Users and Groups --> Users --> Administrator.

On the Administrator Properties page, uncheck the "Account is disabled" box. Then, logout and back in. You will now see an icon for Administrator. Select that, and you can login as the REAL Admin.

You will still NOT be able to manipulate some files and folders, though, because Vista has embraced the UNIX concept of soft links; that is, what used to be real folders and files (especially in the Documents and Settings folders in XP), are now really LINKS to the real folders and files -- and Vista won't let you mess with the links.

WAW8, Oct 11, 2007
  10. prc292

Jasmine

I've tried both solutions, but I seem to be hitting the same roadblocks as the other person. My problem is that when I go through those steps, there is no file called "pending.xml" I have "pending.GRL" is that the same? This is really frustrating...

Jasmine, Oct 11, 2007
  11. prc292

Jason

Here is a solution I found on some other sites which seems to work pretty good if you do everything right! Apparently Microsoft knows this is a problem and has no solution but this works!

The issue is that the WUA 3.0 (7.0.6000.374) upgrade is corrupted,

essentially the system reports the WUA to be 7.0.6000.374 but the files on

the disk are still from the old version (you can check some of the DLLs like

wups.dll, wuaueng.dll etc... in the windows\system32) ... and you cannot

install the WUA 3.0 even manually.

Delete the following file:

C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the

procedure to take ownership of the file:

Run a command prompt with "Run as Administrator".

Type in the following commands:

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

Then delete the file

del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from

here: http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

This should fix the Error 80073712 when the other solutions do not work.

BE AWARE that renaming C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml might have

unrecoverable impacts on your Vista installation

NOTE:

As a result of this comand:

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

your user name will display which you can use in place <YourUsername> in

this command (drop the < and >, one space after G and no space after

<YourUsername>):

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

If the del command works (no errors displayed) you can go on and do the

download of Windows Update.

Jason, Oct 11, 2007
  12. prc292

Jasmine

Thanks for your help. But I'm trying that and I'm getting this message:

Error: Invalid argument/option - '/fC:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml' type "TAKEOWN /?" for usage.

What am I doing wrong?

Jasmine, Oct 31, 2007
  13. prc292

cyclic

Cacls is an XP util and works just about in Vista, there is an alternative for Vista that should work better, it's Icacls, syntax and arguments are pretty much the same.

In theory you should have seen this 'Cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls' when trying to run cacls.

cyclic, Nov 1, 2007
  14. prc292

kingofnexus

You need a space in between /f and C:\

You can also try using a - isntead of a /. (ie takeown -f C:\etc...)

If windows isn't in the C: directory you can use %windir% instead of x:\windows (where x is a drive letter), i.e. TAKEOWN /f %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml

kingofnexus, Nov 3, 2007
  15. prc292

AP1

Ive deleted the pnding.xml file...its gone. I have rebooted and downloaded the WUA. It will not install. I get "Install failed with following error number: 0x80073712

Someone asked about the pending GRL file...

To say this is frustrating would be the understatment of the century. Any tips from here????

AP1, Nov 8, 2007
  16. prc292

kingofnexus

kingofnexus, Nov 9, 2007
  17. prc292

redbird985

I need help please. I saw the instructions and tried them to make myself log in as the administrator, but I don't have "local users and groups" after clicking on "computer", then "manage".

Can you please tell me how else to go about making myself administrator? This is my own, home computer, Vista 32 on a Dell XPS 410. And I thought I was the administrator, as I set it all up??!! The end effect I am trying to do is, I keep getting the error code #80073712, and am trying to follow other instructions on deleting the pending.xml file, but when I get to the final step of the instructions, the actual deleting of the file, I get "access denied". So I was going to try doing that by being the "administrator", which I thought I was! Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this "windows update" problem is really getting to me. And I'm pretty novice at all this.

INSTRUCTIONS I TRIED TO FOLLOW TO CHANGE TO THE 'ADMINISTRATOR':

The whole story is like this:

right click on "computer" and click on manage.

click on "local users and groups", click on "users", click on

"administrator" and right click, click on properties. toggle the box marked

"account is disabled". this should clear this box. now close all windows.

in control panel click on "administrative tools", now click on "local

security policy". with :interactive logon:" enable "Do not display last

last user name", and disable "do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL". now logoff and

you are set. when you are in the administrator box you should set a

password of your choosing.

redbird985, Jan 14, 2008
  18. prc292

WAW8

Scroll to the beginning of this thread and you will see that your are NOT the administrator. Follows the steps on unhiding the "real" admin account, login under THAT account, and try again.

WAW8, Jan 15, 2008
  19. prc292

redbird985

Trying to change myself to Administrator: (have Vista 32)

As stated, I tried to use instructions that said step one: right click on "computer"

step two: click on manage.

step three: click on "local users and groups"

*But step 3 doesn't show up on my screen. There is no "local users and groups". I can't find it anywhere on the "manage" screen.

And I feel like a complete moron, but exactly how do I:

Run a command prompt with "Run as Administrator".

Can you please tell me exactly where/how, in baby steps, to type that prompt in.

I am a such a beginner at this! :unsure:

Also, Please:

"BE AWARE that renaming C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml might have

unrecoverable impacts on your Vista installation "

Being such a novice, that statement has me scared. Will the possible impacts be bad?

Thank you!

I appreciate it.

redbird985, Jan 18, 2008
  20. prc292

WAW8

Sorry ... didn't notice that you had already tried to unhide the Admin account and are not able to do that. My bad.

Regarding your concerns about side-effects of doing system-level maintenance on Vista, you have every right to be afraid! My opinion on this (I'll probably get flamed big time for this!) is that it is reprehensible that Vista contains such serious bugs that end-users have no choice than to risk wiping out their installations to fix problems that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Windows Update bugs is a key example of this. WU has been around for years. It's MS's own SW -- they can't blame anyone else for this. What MS should be doing is providing an downloadable utility that can be run in safe mode that fixes the problem -- without posing the risk of serious damage to your installation.

Reports I've read on other forums have indicated that since this is a Windows Update error, when people called MS, MS was able to take remote control of their machine and perform the updates. Still runs the same risk, but at least you have an MS tech doing the work.

All I can tell you is that, to fix this yourself, you will need to run system-level commands as an Administrator, and if anything goes wrong, you might have to completely reinstall from scratch.

If you want more info on what you can try, let us know. The fix that works will involve running a chkdsk on your Windows drive and performing an in-place update to Vista.

WAW8, Jan 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question