[CLOSED] vista/XP compatability

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by djdos83, Feb 7, 2008.

1. djdos83

djdos83

hi ive got a good computer (custom made) has a non genuine version of XP i want to upgrade itto vista but ive heard all my old programs will not work with it (old files, printer ,camera, mp3 software ect) ive also heard there is a patch that makes all my old XP filesand programs compatable with vista is this true? and is there anyone out there who recommends sticking with XP? any help is much appreciated :)

djdos83, Feb 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. djdos83

faust1200

All those things you say about Vista were applicable about a year ago but not really anymore. I don't know what programs or mp3 player you use but most popular software works on both xp and Vista. You would probably have to research each item individually if you wanted to be certain that all your stuff is Vista compatible.

faust1200, Feb 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. djdos83

PC509

PC509, Feb 7, 2008
  4. djdos83

WAW8

Vista has something known as Compatability Mode, which will allow you to run XP programs inside Vista. But, it's a hit or miss proposition, meaning, that you won't know which app will work until you try it.

The bigger concern is device drivers for hardware. If your XP-era hardware comes from vendors that are not providing Vista drivers, the hardware is likely NOT to work.

MS provides a tool for determining which of your stuff, hardware and sofware, will work in Vista. I believe it's called the Vista Upgrade Advisor. Download that from MS and run it.

WAW8, Feb 7, 2008
  5. djdos83

djdos83

thanks for the help guys yea all my hardware is about 3 years old i think ill just get xp instead of taking my chances with vista

djdos83, Feb 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question