[CLOSED] How to reallocate the memory space for the drives?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by RekhaReddy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. RekhaReddy

RekhaReddy

Hai..

For C drive, only 19GB is allocated.I want to reallocate memory from E drive to C.

How can i do that?Please help me..

thanks in advance

Regards,

Rekha

RekhaReddy, Jan 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. RekhaReddy

WAW8

You're confusing memory and disk space. "C" is the volume letter of your OS partition -- that is disk space. "E" is the volume letter of a different partition -- that is also disk space. You can't directly transfer disk space from one volume to another.

However, what you can do is shrink one volume and enlarge another volume -- but the second can only be done if there is unallocated space on the physical drive containing the second volume.

(Note: for the "purists" that are about to take exception to what I wrote above, I'm not including "dynamic volumes" in this discussion -- that's a complication I rather avoid at this point).

So, double-click "Computer" in the Start menu, look at your Disk Drives, and you will see that for each drive, Vista specifies X.xx GB free of Y.xx GB. These are not physical drives, these are logical volumes. Post back regarding what you find.

WAW8, Jan 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. RekhaReddy

RekhaReddy

ohh.. fine. thanks for explaining me in detail..

C -> 4.33 GB free of 19.9GB

D-> 10.9GB free of 14.9GB

E-> 39.1GB free of 76.7GB

Now its taking veryyy long to boot up(even i don ve many programs) and itbecomes very slow.

Regards,

Rekha

RekhaReddy, Jan 27, 2008
  4. RekhaReddy

Jason

I believe you have to delete one of those partitions to get some allocated space back and then add that into your C: But I'll let WAW8 confirm since I do have much experience with this.

Jason, Jan 28, 2008
  5. RekhaReddy

WAW8

Looks like you have about a 120GB drive. Appears that what you want to do is enlarge the "C" drive. To do that, you'll have to do the following:

1) Shrink the "D" drive by the amount of space you want to add to "C"

2) Expand the "C" drive to fill up the available space freed up by shrinking "D".

The link below provides a tutorial on how to shrink and expand Volumes (what these actually are, not really "disks") in Vista:

[url]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial133.html [/url]

You can also choose to shrink "E", instead of "D", but then you will have to move "D" to fill in the space freed up by shrinking "E" and I don't know if the Vista utility will support moving volumes. I use a third-party tool (Acronis Disk Director) to do all my volume management.

WAW8, Jan 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question