[CLOSED] How much is the license if I have the disk?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by vistamelle, Jan 30, 2008.

1. vistamelle

vistamelle

Hi everyone. I`m using Windows XP Pro at the moment (but I did have Windows Vista Home Basic) when I first got the computer a few months ago. I panicked when the first vista screens opened and I thought it took that long each time for Vista to open so I installed my EOM version of XP Pro in my computer and didn`t have the Vista Home Basic CD (not included in the purchase) to put it back in. Now I have the CD Upgrade where I can upgrade and purchase my license afterward. I`m thinking of going to Ultimate and get the top of it all instead of going for something else. I can`t upgrade to Home Premium from XP Pro anyway and I don`t have the Vista Home Basic CD to reinstall Vista Home on my computer.....I know.......but I didn`t know I would have to do all this. But I do now.

I have both my licenses for Vista Home Premium (but no disk) and I have my license and OEM disk for Windows XP Pro. The question I am asking is that with the upgrade disk that came with my computer (Then I purchased the XP Pro OEM version cause I was ticked off at Vista) and reinstalled the whole thing), can I just purchase the license for Ultimate??? And how much does it cost????

I know I have 30 days to activate and I installed all this yesterday. So now I`m running on Vista Ultimate and it`s going very well. I had tried Vista Business on a trial basis but my time was up and boy what a surprise when it jammed on me one day after the 30 days and wouldn`t let me do anything other than put my XP Pro OEM disk and reboot from that and start over again. I wouldn`t mind having a Vista Home Basic Disk cause I do have a valid license (but now they don`t include CD`s when you buy the computer) and I didn`t have any recovery disks either (didn`t even know I had to have them....but now I do).

I hope this isn`t too confusing for you cause what I would like to do is operate Vista in the cheepest way possible. Any comments would be welcome. If you would like to PM me privately to tell me, that`s ok too.

Thank you very kindly for your responses.

Vistamelle :):)

vistamelle, Jan 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. vistamelle

WAW8

OK, let me see if I understand what you did. You installed XP. Then, you "upgraded" XP to Vista and chose to install Ultimate. But you did the upgrade without providing a product key, so now you have somewhat less than 30 days to activate your copy of Ultimate.

Did I get that right?

WAW8, Jan 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. vistamelle

bomber628

Sounds likeyou started with Vista Basic from the factory, then installed xp and now would like to go back to Vista. You don't get a Vista CD...that's true, but for about $7.00, you can buy an anytime upgrade CD at the following link

https://na.windowsanytimeupgradestore.com/WAU_DIRECT/Purchase.aspx

This link will put you right at the site with an upgrade disc already in a shopping cart, (I'm waiting for one to arrive in the mail myself). All of the upgrade discs have every version of Vista on them, and the license key you use will determine what version of Vista is actually installed. The disc only costs $7 because it is the installation software only, with no license...works for you since you have a license key already. If you want to go with Vista Ultimate you will have to buy a License for it for whatever retail is, don't know myself.

bomber628, Jan 31, 2008
  4. vistamelle

bomber628

Sorry I just re-read your post and it seems you have an upgrade disc. Did you get a recovery disc when you got the computer?You maynot have because now they often put that info in a recovery partition on the harddrive. You're supposed to burn the recovery discs yourself. You can call customer support for your computer and tell them you can't burn the recovery discs because when you try you get a fail message, and they should send you a recovery disc. I had to do that because I really couldn't burn mine, and they sent me one for free since I couldn't burn them myself. A recovery disc will put your computer back into the state it was in when you first got it. They may charge you a small amount, like $10, but that should be all you need to get your Vista Basic back.

bomber628, Jan 31, 2008
  5. vistamelle

WAW8

Looks like you're getting some different answers to your questions. I didn't provide details because I'm confused about the specifics of what you have and what you're running.

The Windows Anytime Upgrade disk is just that, it's a disk, containing Vista. It's primary use is to provide the disk media needed to upgrade from one version of Vista to another -- when you don't already have a Vista DVD.

The upgrade disk will actually let you upgrade to just about any version you want. But to activate the version you upgrade TO, you must have a product key -- and those are version-specific.

Given that you already have the upgrade medium, all you need to activate your upgrade is a product key. You will need to check with the vendor to see what Vista version the upgrade expects. Each of the vendor programs was different, so unless you check with your vendor, you won't know what Vista version came with the purchase price of the machine you bought (if any). You might be able to work a deal on upgrading to Ultimate without paying the full upgrade price. If the vendor provided you a Home Premium upgrade, they might only charge you the difference between that and Ultimate to sell you an Ultimate product key. But, you need to check with them to determine your options.

WAW8, Jan 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question