Clock Broken

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by woolie, Apr 9, 2007.

1. woolie

woolie

Vista tech support says this is known issue... How do I fix it...

woolie, Apr 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. woolie

VistaRocks

Have you checked to make sure its synced with an Internet site? Don't know if that will help or not.

VistaRocks, Apr 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. woolie

woolie

The sync only worked a few days then quit altogether...

How in the world did Microsoft spend billions on a OS and screw up the clock in the process...

My daughter just got a laptop from Dell with Vista and her clock doesn't work either...

If a simple thing like a clock won't work how can we trust the rest of Vista...

I have been with Microsoft since DOS 2, 3,4,5, 6 & yes Windows 1.0 and on and this Vista is has more problems than all the previous upgrades combined... Vista is not even a beta 1.0...

woolie, Apr 10, 2007
  4. woolie

Titch

Have checked the time in your BIOS?

Titch, Apr 11, 2007
  5. woolie

woolie

Thanks for the response...

My Vista is on a new Apple MacBook, Intel dual core which runs Apple's operating system 10.4 and I have a partitioned it so I can run Vista... The Apple side of the computer time works fine...

The Vista side opens 7 hour in earlier... It started out two hours in advance... And then it move up to 7 hours earlier... The internet time use to fix it, but now it won't work either...

If it was the bios, which I thought it might be too, both sides would be off the same time...

Also, my daughter just bought a Dell laptop last week with Vista, and it's clock also doesn't work either...

If you have a solution... I am looking forward to hear what it is... Thanks again for your time....

woolie, Apr 11, 2007
  6. woolie

kingofnexus

Unlucky, ive installed multiple releases of vista, mulitple times and never have I had a problem with the clock. Sounds like some mobo driver problem perhaps. The problem isn't too bad as nothing much uses the clock. If you have a TV card and are recording using MCE then it would be a major problem.

kingofnexus, Apr 11, 2007
  7. woolie

woolie

The clock impacts emailing... People don't unterstand getting email 7 hours into the future...

The clock is a symptom... If Vista can't make a simple clock work... How can we trust the inner workings of Vista for which we never see, but have to blindly trust...

They say Vista is more secure... That is hard believe when a simple working seems to be beyond their technical ability...

The Vista tech people say they know about the problem and will send out a patch someday...That's comforting...

woolie, Apr 11, 2007
  8. woolie

Jason

Your battery or CMOS on your motherboard may be low and cutting out thus messing the time up when the PC is turned off. This sounds like a BIOS compatibility problems so don't gun hoe on the OS being horrible. How old is your pc/laptop?

Jason, Apr 11, 2007
  9. woolie

woolie

Three months old... And the Apple side of the computer keeps time just fine.... This is a new MacBook

woolie, Apr 12, 2007
  10. woolie

BermudaLee

Just a question about stating the obvious - you have set the correct time zone I assume? To check, click the clock in the lower right, then select "change date and time settings" and then "change time zone".

I also have never heard of an issue with the clock before.

L

BermudaLee, Apr 16, 2007
  11. woolie

Ken4me

Well, needless to say, I just received my new laptop from HP last Friday. After going through the steps of getting everything set up, including the time zone and the correct time. I turned my laptop off for a few hours, came back and turned it back on again, and the time was way off. It was like the clock turned off at the same time the laptop turned off. Could this be a hardware problem or is this an inherent problem with Vista. I called HP this morning and their tech support person didn't think it was a manufacturing problem, and that it was a Vista problem.

What does everyone here think? I am thoroughly disappointed! Since this is a brand new laptop and having this kind of problems.

Ken4me, May 14, 2007
  12. woolie

Ken4me

One possible solution to the clock issue is to go into the System Properties and under the Remote tab, uncheck the "Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer" box. This apparently frees up a port to allow the computer to sync with the time server.

Now I can sync the system clock with no problems whatsoever. :D

Ken4me, May 16, 2007
  13. woolie

Ant

Hi everyone,

It appears that I'm having a weeeeeee problem with my clock also. Here's the thing;

Timezone is set to +8 (As I'm in Perth, Western Australia) - My clock just simply hates me, plain and simple. I've just synched it not 10 minutes ago, (Monday June 4, 2007 @ 07:15) and that's cool, it synched as it should. NOW... Looking at my clock, it says Sunday June 3, 2007 - 07:24 and ofcourse I can't synch the time until I've changed the date to the correct date. My clock is as wierd as they come. Sometimes it'll just "hold" the time and simply not update (No, the laptop doesn't have to be turned off or in sleep mode for this to happen) I can be merrily working away and go to check the time - ALAS!!! it's the same as it was 3 hours ago.

Also, I'm having the same problem as a few others regarding my Wireless NIC and intermittent drop-outs. Sometimes it'll go for 3 hours without a drop-out, sometimes it'll happen twice in 10 minutes. There is nothing spectacular about the setup - Dlink DSL-G604T. Worked a charm with XP and now Vista is punishing me for something?? The same thing happens at my workplace - It's not just limited to one AP. Usually I'll just get "Local Access Only" If I disconnect from the network and re-connect, it's fine again until the next drop-out.

Laptop is a (Not evenone week old)Acer TravelMate 5720, Vista Business (32 Bit),1GB RAM, 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor.

I've tried updating my Wireless Drivers (Intel Wifi 4965agn) and am using the most up to date (V. 11.1.1.11)

Event Viewer doesn't tell me much either. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ant, Jun 3, 2007
  14. woolie

Ken4me

It sounds like to me you are experiencing the same exact problem that I am having - I wish I can offer you some solution to this, but unfortunately, I am still in the middle of this fiasco with no solution in sight! If anyone out there has some ideas, I am certainly open to them. I can say that I am extremely close to reinstalling Windows XP in this new laptop. Such a pity! :angry:

Ken4me, Jun 4, 2007
  15. woolie

Ant

Hello Ken,

Happy to see that I'm not the only one that is experiencing such a problem.

I've since contacted Acer support and am awaiting an aswer. I have only had two issues in my 1 week of using Vista - Those two issues have made me want to go back to Windows for WG!!

Unfortunately, I still haven't overcome either issue - Therefore my copy of Vista Business is no more "productive and efficient" than a monkey with an abacus!!

Ant, Jun 6, 2007
  16. woolie

Ken4me

Ant,

I just purchased a new laptop hard drive and I'm going to swap out the existing hard drive in the laptop. Then I'm going to load Windows XP Pro on it.

Now if everything works fine, which I suspect it will, then the hardware is in perfect working condition and that Vista is the culprit.

So I'll let every know as soon as I find out.

Ken4me, Jun 6, 2007
  17. woolie

Ant

G'Day Ken,

How did ya go mate? Did ya get it sussed? Heh.

I'm still having major issues. Oh, and Acer are REALLY on the ball! I haven't heard a bloody peep outta them since I sent them the e-mail outlining my problems. Although, I did get a phone call from a fella claiming to be from Microsoft.... I'm assuming it's all too hard for Acer and they just hand-balled it.

As for the bloke from Microsoft, he's about as easy to get hold of as a greased up monkey on crack!!

Good luck with it all, hope it fixes itself. Although, I don't quite mind it being Sunday whenever I look at my clock. Wonder if the boss would see the funny side of it when I don't come to work?? :p

Ant, Jun 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question