change domain name in vista

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by nordboh, Sep 1, 2009.

1. nordboh

nordboh

Hello, got windows vista installed and my user name is connected to a domain. Problem is that the domain name is wrong, I want to change the name of the domain but it seems like I have to add a new user, which would mean I have to set up tons of new stuff on my computer.

It is no problem changing the domain the computer is a member of, problem is changing the domain the user uses. If I click my computer=>control panel=>user accounts=>and then i click the option for maintaining user accounts (not sure what the menu option is in english because my computer is installed with another language)=>then I get a list of usernames, domain and group. Is there any way of editing the domain in this list?

nordboh, Sep 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. nordboh

WAW8

When you enter your credentials for the domain, you supposedly get a panel that asks for Username and password. In the username entry, insert your domain name followed by a slash as in "domain-name\username"

WAW8, Sep 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. nordboh

nordboh

Hello, thanks for replying.

ButI cant find any place to enter my credidentals for an existing account. If I add a new account there is no problem. Look at the picture below, the user HALVOR got the domain HALVOR, which is wrong. I like to change this to DSDOM, but I find no place of doing that. I tried to add a new user with the doman DSDOM, and that worked fine.. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

nordboh, Sep 3, 2009
  4. nordboh

nordboh

anybody have any idea? :)

nordboh, Sep 7, 2009
  5. nordboh

nordboh

well, after doing some searchin and thinking, what I actually needed was to convert my local user into a domain user.
    And seems like that wont work converting a user like that. So the solution was to log on as asministrator on t he computer, copy all files from C:\documents and settings\<old username> and then copy then to C:\documents and settings\<new username>

In that way I didnt have to set up all kinds of settings all over again, just waiting for the copying was done..

nordboh, Sep 17, 2009
  6. nordboh

WAW8

I checked locally on this, and in my organization, the IT Admins set up the domain names and passwords. Anything you enter must match what they have configured. If you want either to be changed, you must have them do it.

Your domain may be different. You will need to check with the IT folks that administer your domain.

WAW8, Sep 18, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question