cd-rom driver keeps corrupting

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by kuub, Jan 20, 2008.

1. kuub

kuub

hi - i've got a weird driver problem here and would really appreciate any suggestions.

okay, it's a new fairly high-spec dell machine running vista home premium 32 with a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A cd/dvd drive, and every so often the cd-rom driver corrupts (shows a little yellow warning sign) and any discs put in dont spin or get read. i can only fix this by running a system restore back a few weeks.

the system resore fix makes me think something i've recently installed causes a conflict with the cd drive, but this is just a guess.

the only sofrware i regularly update and tweak is vista, windows live onecare (firewall and virus checker), logitech profiler (to configure my gamepad) and my digital tv software that uses a usb tv arial to get freeview tv (MobiDTV Pro from V-Gear).

could any of these interfere with my cd drive? if so how can i avoid this, or fix it without having to run a system restore.

this problem is driving me slowly insane, so i'd really appreciate any help.

many thanks, kuub

kuub, Jan 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. kuub

MafiaLord91

The only things I can think of are you are incorrectly tweaking something with Vista or the Windows Live Onecare is flagging your cd-rom driver as a virus. I do not have any experiance with live onecare so I don't know if you can scan one file or not but you may want to do a system scan after getting your cd driver back.

MafiaLord91, Jan 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. kuub

WAW8

More than once, when we get posts about really "wierd" problems in Vista (i.e., those that have no apparent explanation), the victim reports running Windows Live One Care. I suggest disabling that and seeing if the problem continues.

WAW8, Jan 21, 2008
  4. kuub

lhhgbh

I too am having this same problem with my Dell dvd-rom, same exact one. The rom disappears and reemerges at its own accord. I thought it had happened once only, and assumed that during an update something had gone wrong and then the next update had fixed that problem, but it seems to be happening still and I see I am not the only one. I have found a few others on Google who has the same problem. Anyone know of a fix here? I will check the Dell drivers to see if they have posted anything.

lhhgbh, Feb 4, 2008
  5. kuub

WAW8

The previous poster never got back to us about removing Windows Live One Care, If you're running that, try it.

WAW8, Feb 7, 2008
  6. kuub

GlennMorre

"Try these guys and it works!write these on regedit or just either manually edit your strings to match or just save the text as a .reg file and then merge it into your registry and reboot."

CODE

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Fixes issues with cdrom drives not working properly

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

"UpperFilters"=-

"LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

"UpperFilters"=-

"LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

"UpperFilters"=-

"LowerFilters"=-

GlennMorre, Feb 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question