CD/DVD drives not working

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by spartacus1875, Apr 22, 2007.

1. spartacus1875

spartacus1875

just tried to install some software onto my laptop by inserting the cd into the cd rom, nothing happened so entered 'my computer' to see that the cd/dvd drive was missing. i went into device manager to the relevant devices and checked the properties, this message was there:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

i tried updating the driver but it says:

The best driver software for your machine is already installed.
    Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.

Any ideas on how i can fix this?

spartacus1875, Apr 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

Have you tried checking the Manufacturers website for a solution?

Id possibly try removing the device from DevMan and reinstalling it, maybe there is a non-generic driver that would help you out here? What make / model is the drive, and has it ever worked before (either with a Non-Vista OS or With Vista?)

Quiksilver, Apr 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. spartacus1875

spartacus1875

the spec is as follows:

Acer Aspire 5612z
    Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060
    120GB HDD
    1 GB DDR2
    Vista Home Premium

CD/DVD Rom Drive:

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17RS ATA Device
    TE5111F HID632S SCSI CdRom Device

The laptop is only about 3 months old and this is the first time i have noticed that the cd/dvd drive has not been available. The laptop came with vista pre-installed

spartacus1875, Apr 22, 2007
  4. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

When was the last time you used it? Maybe a System Restore, incase a driver update has caused Windows and the DVD drive to have problems? Still sounds like a Driver problem to me, Unfortunatly my Acer laptop has a different combi-drive in it, so I cant really check anything relevant this end.

Quiksilver, Apr 23, 2007
  5. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

Just re-read your original post.

Id say, uninstall and reinstall the driver. Anyone else got any opinions on this?

Kev

Quiksilver, Apr 23, 2007
  6. spartacus1875

VistaRocks

Yea i agree, try uninstalling the drivers the reinstall them, reboot then see if they work.

VistaRocks, Apr 23, 2007
  7. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

Awesome :)

Give it a go and let us know what happens.

Quiksilver, Apr 23, 2007
  8. spartacus1875

kingofnexus

What vistarocks said, but I would try first uninstalling the driver, then rebooting to let vista install the driver itself when it finds the 'new' drive.

kingofnexus, Apr 23, 2007
  9. spartacus1875

spartacus1875

ok heres what i did:

i uninstalled both parts of the driver as they both had the same error - 'error 39', after doing this vista tried to automatically install the drivers but half way through there was an error and it terminated. i then tried to do a system restore, i chose the earliest date that was available, but the system restore could not be completed due to some unspecified error.

so basically i am pretty much stuck, i have the drivers on cd, but as the cd drive is not working i cannot try to install them from the disk.

Anyone have any other ideas?

spartacus1875, Apr 24, 2007
  10. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

http://support.acer-euro.com

Perhaps this may help? I cant seem to locate your model unfortunatly... Maybe if you have a friend or relative with a working PC they can copy the drivers from the CD onto a memory stick or something along those lines to get the drivers onto the Laptop?

:ermm:

Quiksilver, Apr 24, 2007
  11. spartacus1875

Tosh

An odd problem I agree - have you checked the obvious though?

ie Is the CD drive recognised on boot up & in the Bios?

If so, the Vista disc should be accessable when you boot the laptop, to allow for a repair to be made to Vista.

Tosh, Apr 24, 2007
  12. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

Id say yes the drive shows in the bios as windows can see it also, but not install any drivers for it. Im not so sure about the vista repair option, having not done it myself. If your having problems getting a copy of the driver, email Acer. I know their support desk is half decent so its worth a go if nothing else works.

Quiksilver, Apr 24, 2007
  13. spartacus1875

spartacus1875

thanks for the responses, unfortunetly i'm not going to be able to try and of the solutions untill the end of the week, as i'm currently away at uni and not back untill friday, but i'll give it a go when i get home and update you on my process then

spartacus1875, Apr 24, 2007
  14. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

Excellent :)

Let us know how you get on. I have a copy of the Acer Vista drivers and utilities CD at home.. maybe I have the driver you need and can assist you in getting a copy onto your laptop? Let me know if you want me to look further for you.

Kev

Quiksilver, Apr 24, 2007
  15. spartacus1875

Ollieover

I havea aspire 5610z with the same drive and the problem. from new i got office 2003 and my autostar suite software loaded. and then i did not use it for a week . Like you I went to load new software and you know the rest. I cant find the drive on Pioneers web site, that doesnt help maters. I read some other thread that said wait till sp1 comes out...like Im going to wait.

Ollieover, Apr 26, 2007
  16. spartacus1875

formula

Same problem with my acer laptop 5051 - I called acer and they said they don't have a driver for it yet :angry:

so what should I do? wait to sp1? or downgrade to xp?

formula, Apr 27, 2007
  17. spartacus1875

spartacus1875

well its good news on my part to hear that others are having the same problem, not so much good news for you though, its also very bad news that acer haven't got a fix for this and to be honest slightly worrying, looks like my options of solving this problem have decreased greatly

spartacus1875, Apr 27, 2007
  18. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

Hmm, they have no driver for it, but your laptop carries the "Vista Capable" badge, or "Designed For Vista"?

Quiksilver, Apr 27, 2007
  19. spartacus1875

Ollieover

This has to be an easier question! What Laptop DVD DVR drive works with an Acer runner Vista? You can see where I am going whith this.

Ollieover, Apr 27, 2007
  20. spartacus1875

Quiksilver

Ok.. my Aspire is one of the cheaper Acer Laptops, (see sig for basic spec)

It has a Matshita UJ-850S DVD-RW (RAM) drive.. (which has never caused any problems, burning even Dual Layer DVD media... sometimes used in Sony notebooks too) I think its made by Panasonic.. not 100% sure. Slightly O/T.. but maybe Matshita is the name Panasonic gives to drives it supplies to OEM manufacturers like Acer.. not sure. (Or maybe its just Panasonics "Shit" devision") :)

Good luck fella. Although if Acer themselves say its a problem, maybe waiting / changing the drive is the only option (the latter being a bit harsh tho!)

Quiksilver, Apr 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question