CD/DVD Drive does not appear in Explorer

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by japinkham, Feb 5, 2007.

1. japinkham

japinkham

HELP!!!!

Since I loaded Vista Home Premium edition on Friday night, I have been having problems where it will not see my Sony CD/DVD drive. Everytime I reboot, I have to go into the device manager, scan for changes, and then it magically appears.

Anybody have any idea why it is doing this. I have tried to updated the driver, but still same issue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

japinkham, Feb 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. japinkham

John Kincaid

Do you mean your DVD drive icon is not listed in "Computer" window?

There is a possibility that you will have to update the dvd drive. However I can provide you a possibleresolution for this issue, please follow the steps correctly. You may need to delete the upper and lower filters of your system's registry.

Here are the steps:

Click the Windows Globe Logo and type under Start Search "Run"

Select Run and Type in "regedit" without the quotes.
    Click on OK.

Getting Started:
    - Click on Start.
    - Click on Run.
    - Type in "regedit" without the quotes.
    - Click on OK.
    NOTE: This will begin the Registry Editor that we utilize to perform this delicate procedure.

Using the Registry Editor:
    - Click on the plus [+] sign to the left of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".
    - Continue clicking the plus [+] sign to the left of the following folders in this order:
    SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class

NOTE: The next folder we are going to actually highlight instead of clicking on the plus. You will notice that these folders are not named, but instead contain a series of letters and numbers. The one we are looking for is called "{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}". When you find it, single-click on the folder to highlight it and then proceed with the instructions below.

Removing the Problem:
    - Look on right-hand side of the window for an icon called "Upperfilters" and/or "Lowerfilters".
    - Right-click on it and select "Delete" from the popup menu.
    - Repeat the same procedure until both "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" have been removed.

Saving Your Changes:
    - Exit any/all open programs.
    - Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Once the computer has finished rebooting, your optical drives should be back under "Computer".

:)

John Kincaid, Feb 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question