CD confusion

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Vlad_Vladik, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Vlad_Vladik

Vlad_Vladik

Okay I just ordered a Sony Vaio, its a nice laptop only sony is too cheap to include the vista business disc with it. Now im told every version of vista is on every disc so can I use my home premium disk and my business CD key and reinstall vista business on the laptop? (need to format and reinstall 'cause all the bloatware)

Vlad_Vladik, Jul 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Vlad_Vladik

AmericanNightmare

I have heard from several people that this does indeed work make sure when you get to the screen where you choose which version of Vista you want to install you choose Business to correspond with your Business key. As i said i have heard this is so but don't know from experience i do know for a fact you can do a fullclean install using upgrade media and that all versions are listed inscreen where you select the versionyou wish too installso it would stand to reason this can be done easily enough as long as your key matches you version.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Vlad_Vladik

Vlad_Vladik

Thanks!

Vlad_Vladik, Jul 8, 2007
  4. Vlad_Vladik

WAW8

Be aware that your "business" key, if that was provided with your machine, is most probably an OEM key. Retail keys are different. So, if you have an OEM DVD, that key will work. If you have a retail DVD, it probably won't work. Don't know for sure, have not tried mixing different keys with the different version. Just wanted to let you know why it might not work.

WAW8, Jul 12, 2007
  5. Vlad_Vladik

AmericanNightmare

Excellent point! It hadn't even crossed my mind but it should have.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 12, 2007
  6. Vlad_Vladik

Jason

You can always test it out, I believe you are prompted for the key before any installation occurs. So put your Vista DVD in when inside Vista and try your key, if it takes it then exit out the install, you know it will work now.

Jason, Jul 12, 2007
  7. Vlad_Vladik

WAW8

One thing I forgot to mention is that OEM keys can only be used once. After that, any attempt to reuse the key will generate a validation error as being already in use. You will then have to phone MS to get the key reactivated. Not a really big deal, but an annoyance nonetheless. Retail keys don't suffer from this limitation.

WAW8, Jul 12, 2007
  8. Vlad_Vladik

Vlad_Vladik

I guess I should post back in to tell you guys. It worked without a flaw; yes both my key and dvd were OEM so im not sure about confliction.... I had small trouble with activation but a call to microsoft cleared that up in five minutes.

Vlad_Vladik, Jul 15, 2007
  9. Vlad_Vladik

AmericanNightmare

Good to hear! I think all of us here enjoy hearing back when someone has a success. Glad we did not steer you wrong.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 16, 2007
  10. Vlad_Vladik

kingofnexus

Yeah great stuff. I like it when people post back when they had success. Helps us in futurefor other people who have simaler questions.

kingofnexus, Jul 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question