Catastrophic system crash and steam running strangely

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by metalhead, Feb 3, 2009.

1. metalhead

metalhead

Heya!

I run into a rather baffling problem where by when I install the latest Nvidia drivers, my system either completely freezes immediately or shortly after the install is completed. I'm currently running a XFX 9800GTX+. I notice graphical glitches upon installing newer drivers, these range from colour distortions (accompanied by a system freeze) to white streaks on the screen. I'm using a driver version that is months old, because this is the newest one that lets my use my computer without it dying. I've also noticed that the screen saver function no longer works, whether this is related is beyond me. I considered whether this may in fact be a hardware problem, but given the fact that it works fine under these older drivers leads me to think otherwise. I suspect a reinstall of windows will sort it out, but because of the hassle that this will entail, I will make this a last resort.

Also of note, all my steam games run with a particuarly disrupted framerate (I know old drivers), but it does not affect other, more graphically intensive games, far cry 2. crysis, dead space. I've repaired steam, reinstalled it, run it from a different harddisk.

Suggestions would be most appreciated! :)

metalhead, Feb 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. metalhead

WAW8

Sorry that no one has responded before this ...

I gather that you have been able to roll back the drivers and are working OK with the older drivers, right?

Given that installing the new drivers apparently causes you serious problems, there's really nothing you can do other than stay with the working drivers until Nvidia comes out with a newer version or uninstall the Nvidia drivers entirely and let Vista install the default drivers -- but if you're gaming or otherwise using advanced driver features, you probably don't want to do that.

What I suggest you NOT do is get one of those Driver Update products that will, for a fee of course, promise to find you the "latest" drivers. They really don't have access to any drivers that you don't, and they're charging you money for something you can already get for free.

WAW8, Feb 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. metalhead

metalhead

Hey, thanks alot, I took my PC in for an upgrade the other day, since I am having a new mainboard, processor and memory installed, I may well have to reinstall windows anyway, which will hopefully fix the problem.

I'd have done it myself, but the mainboard may require the bios to be flashed with a newer version as its possible whatever one happens to be on it, doesn't support the new processor. I've had limited experience with the bios, so I thought it better to have a professional look at it.

Sorry for the incoherent nature of my earlier post:D

Thanks again for your reply!

metalhead, Feb 12, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question