Can't unhide the Task Bar/Start Button after autohiding it

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Warchilde, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Warchilde

Warchilde

Just installed Vista on a Asus P5N32-E motherboard, Core 2 Duo E6700, 4gb of RAM, nVidia 8800GTX w/512mb, and an Audigy 2 ZS sound card. Got the drivers installed, got the software installed, everything was going fine until... I set the task bar to autohide. Then I couldn't get it back. Just could get it to un-autohide. Once I restarted the computer the taskbar popped up for a second and I was able to get the properties window up and I de-selected the "autohide" option. Nothing changed. Restarted the computer again. Taskbar pops up for a second, I get the taskbar properties back up and "autohide" isn't selected... but the taskbar is doing it anyway!

Any suggestions or instructions on what to look for in the registry so I can maybe go in and edit something to make it work the way it's supposed to?

Warchilde, Aug 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Warchilde

cyclic

Right click the start button and select properties from the conrext menu, from there you'll see the taskbar tab which will allow you to change it's behaviour.

cyclic, Aug 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Warchilde

Warchilde

That's sorta the problem... I can't GET TO the start button except by restarting the computer and the I've already gone into the properties for the start menui and took it OFF autohide AND locked the task bar. AND IT'S STILL AUTOHIDING!

Warchilde, Aug 19, 2007
  4. Warchilde

garysmith

I'm having the same problem I accidentally checked the 'Auto-hide the Taskbar' option, found on Taskbar and Start Menu Properties dialog, and now I cannot get my taskbar to reappear... Like you, I see the taskbar for only a few seconds as it starts up, but then disappears and will not even pop-up when I hold the mouse at the very bottom of the screen. I have repeatedly unchecked the option, applying my change, with no effect I try to restart to set my change, but after restarting I get the same action again, as mentioned above, and then find that the Auto-hide option is once again checked... this is madding, have you found a solution?

garysmith, Oct 21, 2007
  5. Warchilde

kingofnexus

There doesn't appear to be a nice registry key which can be set from "0" to "1". Apparently windows explorer makes note of changes to the taskbar in its memory, then this data is written in some sort of code into 1 registry string at logoff:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

I do not have auto hide on, but have altered my taskbar into a different arrangement to normal, but if you want to try my registry key here it is:

[​IMG]

This may not work, and I dont know if it may crash your explorer. Make a backup of your current registry key. Use at your own risk.

kingofnexus, Oct 22, 2007
  6. Warchilde

garysmith

Nope, and I made the settings look just like yours and then I rebooted making sure that the 'Autohide the taskbar' option was still unchecked. But, when it came back up, I get the same thing as described above, my taskbar temporary appears only to disappear for good. My Autohide option has been checked again, and the registry changes I made are back to what there were before I changed them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of chatting about this on the Internet, either... well I'm stuck! :unsure:

garysmith, Oct 22, 2007
  7. Warchilde

garysmith

Okay I'm embarrassed, I figured out my taskbar problem. I have a nifty little app launcher called ObjectDock and one of its many options is it lets you hide the taskbar, and yep you guessed it some how that got turned on... all it well with the world again... :D

Thanks for your help!

garysmith, Oct 22, 2007
  8. Warchilde

kingofnexus

Glad you got it sorted!

Damn that object dock ;)

kingofnexus, Oct 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question