Can't set network printer as default

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dmack410, Jan 4, 2008.

1. dmack410

dmack410

I work for a non-profit and I am basically the IT Department in our organization simply because I am the one who knows the most about computers (which isn't a lot) but there is no budget for an IT Department.

We recently upgraded to Windows Vista Business and I am running into an issue where I can't set any network printer as the default printer. I can install the printer fine and I can set the printer as default at installation but once I reboot the computer, the default printer switches to Microsoft XPS Document Writer. When I go to the printers screen, right click on the network printer and click set as default, nothing happens. I can set other local printers like Microsoft Office Document Image Writer and Fax as default but those are useless to me.All our office printers are network printers.

I can delete the network printer, reinstall and set the printer as default during installation but I lose it again once I reboot. We're running Windows Vista Business on 4 machines right now and they are all doing it.

If anyone out there can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

dmack410

dmack410, Jan 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. dmack410

TimeRanger

Have you tried deleting ALL of the printers, rebooting, then setting your desired choice as "default"?

TimeRanger, Jan 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. dmack410

dmack410

No, I haven't tried that.

Do you know if I could get Microsoft XPS Document Writer, Microsoft Office Document Image Writer and Fax back in the future if I need it? Where would I find that? I've been avoiding deleting them because I wasn't sure if I would need them in the future.

Ideally, I'd like to keep them and still resolve the issue but if there is no other way, then I'll delete them.

Please let me know what you think.

dmack410

dmack410, Jan 4, 2008
  4. dmack410

TimeRanger

If you set a Restore Point before you delete anything, you should be able to go back to them if needed

TimeRanger, Jan 4, 2008
  5. dmack410

dmack410

Well, I just deleted all the local printers - Microsoft XPS Document Writer, Microsoft Office Document Image Writer and Fax and rebooted the machine. My network printer still isn't the default. It just acts like there is no default printer. When I try to print, I still have to select the network printer manually.

What do I do now? Please advise.

Thanks.

dmack410, Jan 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question