Cant remove/format data partition

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Malfie, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Malfie

Malfie

Using Vista Home Premium I have a 250gig HDD partitioned into 170gig as the active boot drive and the remainder as a data drive.

I need to increase the size of the boot drive and would like to just use all the space of the data partition.

However, after removing all data from the data drive I can only shrink it slightly by 2.49Gig. It wont let me format it even now. Also the boot partition does not give th eoption to expand itself to the unallocated 2.49G that is available.

There is no page file on the data partition and I have done a backup snapshot ( not sure how I would, anyway..)

I guess I could do an Acronis backup image of the boot drive and reprocess the entire drive as a single partition but since I can't unallocated the data partition I don't know if it's possible.. that is without removing the drive and processing it on my XP system.

(Hopefully I've attached an image of the drives config..)

Is there any "easy" way to achieve the single, maximum capacity partition while leaving the boot contents workable?

Malfie, Apr 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Malfie

WAW8

You will need an Acronis True Image version 11 or newer to be sure to be able to restore Vista partition. V10 worked, but sporadically.

Also, would be best if you also had a Vista DVD because, in some cases, when V10 and early V11 ATI products restored Vista partitions, they aligned them incorrectly, and that required booting from the Vista DVD and running Startup Repair to fix the boot problems.

As to your Data partition, if you just remove it and you have applications that write to it by default, those apps will fail when you then copy the contents into your "C" partition. So, you would need to check which apps write to the "D" drive and make a note to fix those settings after you do the repartitioning.

As to shrinking the partitions, don't understand why you can't do what you want with a Data partition. There should be nothing to prevent that.

ATI will allow you to do what you want -- remove the data partition and expand the OS partition. Just note the remarks I made about the version and Vista DVD.

WAW8, Apr 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question