Can't map/access network drive

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Wire Foxer, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Wire Foxer

Wire Foxer

Hi All,
    I'm no longer able to access my NAS from my Vista laptop wirelessly - it has dissappeared. Symptoms as follows....
    1. When I try to remap the NAS by browsing for network the network window contains no tree (only the word network)
    2. When I enter \\MY_NAS\media manually I get the message "cannot access MY_NAS"
    3. When I troubleshoot the problem, I'm asked to plug in a cable - not helpfull.

The internet connection is working fine wirelessly.

This behaviour happened after AVG found and removed a Trojan.

I fear the Trojan has corrupted the operating system? Before anyone says I'm doomed, is there any way to ressurect the networking function of my laptop without a full wipe/reload Vista. Everything else seems to work fine apart from the networking issue. All scans are now clear and have been for a few days. I've been using the laptop for 3 years and it has alot of progs on it - a full wipe would be major for me :(

Wire Foxer, Oct 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Wire Foxer

Wire Foxer

Anyone have any ideas? (doesn't seem to be much activity on this section of the forum :rolleyes:)

Wire Foxer, Oct 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Wire Foxer

WAW8

There's not much activity in the forum in general because many folks (me included) have moved on to Windows 7 and don't do anything in Vista anymore.

But back to your problem ... AVG could have removed just about anything it THOUGHT was a problem.

I don't know how you setup your NAS in the first place, you probably used a Wired connection, but it's worth going through that setup again -- to at least confirm that you can still get to it using a wired connection. If that doesn't work, there's a more basic problem that is unrelated to the Wireless connection.

WAW8, Oct 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question